Annie's Reviews > Veronika Decides to Die

Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho

Jan 09, 08

Read in November, 2007

My first experience with Coelho was in reading the novel "The Alchemist." I found that I did not agree with the general consensus that the book was amazing but instead found it to be quite preachy and a little contrived. Granted, I did cut Coehlo some slack as I realized I went into reading the book expecting it's grandiosity to change my life. My friend Cassie was the only person I know who agreed with me on "The Alchemist" and in hearing her recommendation to read "Veronika Decides to Die", I decided to give Coelho another shot. My experience was quite different as I found "Veronika Decides to Die" to be neither contrived nor preachy. Although I thought the ending of this book was heading toward my review of "The Alchemist", all and all I deemed this book to have better writing and many interesting ideas. "Veronika Decides to Die" kept me intrigued and although it still contained a little bit of an agenda from Coelho, I think the main points of this book are universal and can be appreciated by everyone. I recommend this book to anyone who struggled with "The Alchemist" and is looking to read something inspiring that still maintains originality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veronika Decides to Die.