Lina's Reviews > Next

Next by James Hynes

Apr 16, 2010

it was ok
Read from April 13 to 16, 2010

Take this review with a grain of salt because I am clearly not the target audience for a book about a middle-aged man having a mid-life crisis. I picked it up because I'd adored one of the author's previous books, Kings of Infinite Space, and this new one has a great ra...ting on Amazon. I probably should have paid more attention to the plot and reviews before I read it. The main character spends half of the book checking out younger women, he contemplates leaving his young girlfriend even though she sounds like a pretty decent person, and he waxes on incessantly about his previous paramours. As a result he was irritating and not at all sympathetic to me. The only interesting part of the book is his journey through Austin, which is full of vivid detail about what I assume are actual sites found in the city and it gave me a nice feel for the setting. I don't mean to give the book a wholly negative review as the writing is good and parts of the story are engaging but it's just not for me.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Next.