Jessica Camara's Reviews > Witch & Wizard

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Jan 21, 2013

did not like it
Read in April, 2010

I rarely refuse to continue reading a book I have started, but I just refused to finish this one...I was very interested in reading this book after seeing it described as being a new series for Harry Potter fans...which, as it turns out, is extremely misleading!! I think there were good ideas for a storyline behind this book, but the writing was so lacking (no detail, lacking any emotion, poor character development, etc.) that I just had to give up on the book completely...it's too bad, because I do think it could have been a good story if it was approached in the right way.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch & Wizard.

02/20 marked as: read

Chloe you people who are trashing this book are not actully rating this book on the words, passion, emotion, and texts in this book. your rating this book on weather its a Harry Potter book. It deffinatly isn't a Harry Potter book.... but it is an excellent book!!

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Cammarata I agree with the review. This book was awful in so many ways. It read like a rough draft. The characters were never developed enough to be interesting. The plot was predictable and just stupid.

message 3: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin I also agree with this review. Chloe thinks everyone is disappointed because this book isn't Harry Potter. Maybe for some people that's the case, but she's obviously missing where everyone is also complaining about (like you said) the lack of detail, the lack of emotions and the poor character development. I'd also like to add "terrible dialogue" to that list.

Fiona Have YOU ever made a book that is 314 pages long… read those mark twain nominees then you'll know a book that you have to turn down!

Jessica Camara Wow..."excellent", "Top notch" writing? Seriously? I'm thinking maybe we didn't read the same book after all, or maybe you're in the 10-12 age group? If so, I apologize. I'm not a writer, but I am an avid reader and do not base my opinions on the books a title may be compared to (Potter), or page length...regardless, the fact is that, in my opinion, this book was horrible. We all know that reading is subjective and each individual is going to walk away with their own thoughts and opinions on the story in question. Why do I feel like I'm being attacked for mine? I can't even believe that I'm wasting more time writing in connection with this book...awful.

Barbara Brownlee Thank you for your review, Jessica. I'm sorry you were attacked for giving your opinion in a venue where you are *supposed* to give your opinion. I completely agree with your review. This book was so awful, I couldn't finish it and I cannot think of a time when I have ever done that before.