Greg's Reviews > The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power

The Family by Jeff Sharlet

M 50x66
Apr 12, 10

Read in April, 2010

As is the case when reading most books, I enjoyed The Family more and more the further I got into it. I found the first few chapters to be a bit slow, and I was disappointed with the lack of dry, historical facts. I had expected (and hoped for) The Family to be a simple nonfiction work examining the intersecting histories of Christian fundamentalism and American politics through the twenty-first century, but Sharlet is too literary a writer for that. The book is certainly the product of years of research, as Sharlet writes that it is, containing much interesting information about former and current politicians wrapped up with the "Family," but it also displays his authorial skill and penchant for dramatic and emotive rhetoric, which is often well-used but sometimes just cringe-inducing. Maybe it's because I just finished the book, but I do think Sharlet did a good job tying together all the main strands of his investigations in the final chapter. I'm glad I read this book. Now, I'd like to read more about the Family--but from a drier, more straightforward source.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family.