Lee's Reviews > The Quiet Gentleman

liked it
bookshelves: comfort-reads, romance, historical-fiction, 2010-reads
Read from April 11 to 13, 2010

A sneak comfort read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quiet Gentleman.

04/12/2010 page 180

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Lee, I've only read 5 Heyer's so far. Would you recommend this one or is it too soon to tell?

message 2: by Boof (new)

Boof I've never read any Heyer - am I missing out, Lee?

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Why does Lee have to *sneak* a comfort read?

message 4: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Misfit wrote: "Why does Lee have to *sneak* a comfort read?

PS, the only Heyer I've tried was The Conqueror and it flew around page 100. Although I hear that's not her usual style."

You ought to give her another try. The Corinthian was good, and much in the Heyer style as far as I can see.

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Boof, I think you would like Heyer.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I've read Frederica and The Grand Sophy and enjoyed them both. Witty dialogue, spunky heroines etc.

This one I would not recommend as a starting point under any circumstances. It's all about the men and a plot to murder the Earl. I wasn't enthralled.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Misfit wrote: "Why does Lee have to *sneak* a comfort read?

And to answer your question Misfit, I am sneaking a comfort read because I'm supposed to be reading Shadow of the Moon for a group discussion and keep putting it off like the naughty monkey I am.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Hannahr wrote: "Misfit wrote: "Why does Lee have to *sneak* a comfort read?

You ought..."

I do intend to try one, I've got one of her Georgian ones in mind (the Masquereders or something like that). I just keep getting sidetracked by other books.