Johnsergeant's Reviews > How the Irish Saved Civilization

Dec 01, 07

bookshelves: audiblecom, audiobook, ireland
Read in March, 2002

Downloaded from Audible.com

My recollection is that I found this audiobook hard to get into. Given how much I have enjoyed other audiobooks which deal with Ireland, I think I need to go back and try this again.

Narrator: Donal Donnelly
Publisher: Bantam Doubleday Dell Audio, 2001
Length: 8 hours

Publisher's Summary

From the fall of Rome to the rise of Charlemagne - the "dark ages" - learning, scholarship, and culture disappeared from the European continent. The great heritage of Western civilization - from the Greek and Roman classics to Jewish and Christian works - would have been utterly lost were it not for the holy men and women of unconquered Ireland.

In this delightful and illuminating look into a crucial but little-known "hinge" of history, Thomas Cahill takes us to the "island of saints and scholars," the Ireland of St. Patrick and the Book of Kells. Here, far from the barbarian despoliation of the continent, monks and scribes laboriously, lovingly, even playfully preserved the West's written treasury. With the return of stability in Europe, these Irish scholars were instrumental in spreading learning. Thus the Irish not only were conservators of civilization, but became shapers of the medieval mind, putting their unique stamp on Western culture.

Thanks to Thomas Cahill, this pivotal era is brought back to vibrant life, its personages portrayed in all their seemingly contemporary humanity, its issues simply and compellingly spelled out. How the Irish Saved Civilization will change forever the way we look at our past, and ourselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Irish Saved Civilization.