Matthew Raleigh's Reviews > Deception Point

Deception Point by Dan Brown

Apr 12, 10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception Point.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matthew Raleigh Not Brown's best work, unfortunately. The plot line depends on a series of 1:1,000,000 chance outcomes for each subsequent 1:1,000,000 chance consequence that ultimately lead up to an unrealistic - however remotely possible - conclusion. For example, in one of the later scenes, (I'll try not to spoil) one of the characters is in the ocean surrounded by hammer-head sharks and near drowning as he is trying to rescue a love-interest from a sinking submarine. As he is nearing blackout, he comes to the conclusion that if he could re-route the air-valves from the ballasts to the cabin, the resulting pressure would be enough to blow the hatch without actually killing the person inside. And so, surrounded by sharks, underwater without oxygen, unconsciousness settling in, he plays MacGyver and somehow re-engineers a submarine so that it does the one thing its is designed to avoid at all costs. I won't tell you the outcome but I can assure you, it's predictable and just as improbable as everything else that happens in this story.
I give Brown credit for using his imagination to uncover the path to an infinitely impossible story but the reader is left calling "Bullshit" too many times throughout the book - making it not as enjoyable as some of his other works.
Character development was average, the actual story telling was good if you can manage to heroically suspend disbelief for a very long time: the romance was gratuitous and boring, the mystery and intrigue were average.
Overall, I have to give this one 3.5 out of 5 stars. Even the best story teller needs to have a believable story to keep readers engaged.