Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Return to Paradise

3152001
Apr 12, 2010

bookshelves: arc, author-interviewed-on-my-blog
Read in May, 2010

This is an outstanding sequel to LEAVING PARADISE! I couldn't put this book down. I rarely would describe a novel as exquisite, but it fits. Once again, Simone Elkeles draws the reader in by alternating between Caleb and Maggie's narration, and it works beautifully.
RETURN TO PARADISE is a richly written, emotionally charged novel that will leave you satisfied, but also wishing that the last page didn't come so quickly.
What makes Simone Elkeles's books (including this one) so fabulous is the realistic portrayal of characters from all different life experiences. She doesn't shy away from the tough issues that teens face today. She seamlessly integrates sexuality, disabilities, race, religion and faith, love, family dynamics, drug use, and divorce. All of Simone Elkeles's main characters face difficult challenges and Caleb and Maggie are no exception. There is no sugar coating life, but love can make a person better, can help to overcome obstacles, and can give strength when you're feeling weak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Paradise.

10/23/2016 marked as: read