Deidra's Reviews > On the Far Side of the Mountain

On the Far Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Dec 01, 07

bookshelves: contemporary-realistic-fiction
Read in November, 2007

Written and illustrated by Jean Craighead George. Published by Dutton Children's books, a division of Penguin Young Readers Group, copyright 1990.

Grade level: 4th

This is the second book of the series from "My sie of the Mountain." In this story, Sam Gribley is still living on his own in the wild along with his falcon, Firghtful, and his young sister Alice. Sam's calm life is interrupted when his sister goes missing and his falcon is taken away by a conservation officer. Sam must go to find them and leave his mountain home, and leads him to face the hardest decision of his life.

I enjoyed this book, and I really think kids will, expecially little boys since most think it would be great to be able to live in the wild. I remember reading My Side of the Mountain in elementary school, and I think this book is a great successor to it.

Possible themes/units: nature, animals and their instincts to be free, family and discovery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Far Side of the Mountain.