Susanna - Censored by GoodReads's Reviews > After Elizabeth: The Rise of James of Scotland and the Struggle for the Throne of England

After Elizabeth by Leanda de Lisle

Dec 21, 12

bookshelves: british-history, history, tudor
Read from April 14 to 30, 2010

Answering the question of how James won the race to succeed Elizabeth. And how he got unpopular very quickly thereafter.

He promised all things to all comers: toleration to Catholics and reform to Puritans, for example. He couldn't possibly deliver on all of his promises. There was reason for his being known as "the wisest fool in Christendom." And additionally, he loathed the common people, whereas Elizabeth Tudor had never met a crowd she didn't like (and couldn't win over).

Elizabeth's regime had been unpopular at the end of her rule, but within a few years of James' accession, many would have given a great deal to have the Old Queen back. People began celebrating her accession day again, and not James'. (Or, later, Charles'.)

Probably about 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Elizabeth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manuel (new)

Manuel I hope you enjoy this book Susanna.
I read it a few years ago.

message 2: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Apr 14, 2010 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads It looks very interesting.

What did you think of it? You don't seem to have rated it here at GR.

message 3: by Manuel (new)

Manuel I dont rate all my books in GoodReads, but it this case, I think I read it before I joined.

I just remember the sense of hope and positive expectations people were looking from in James I as he came down from Scotland.

The Catholics hoped he would at least ease up on the anti-Catholic laws and fines, and the Puritans were disappointed he still held to Church of England rituals and practices which they thought were practically Catholic already.

I guess what surprised me the most, was how fast his Scottish nobles adapted to England and English customs over those of Scotland. He could be nice to his wife and even romantic, he went to fetch her from Denmark himself, but it also seems very clear he had homosexual tendencies which he didn't bother to hide very well or at all.

When they said he was the wisest fool in Christendom; they weren't far off the mark. He seems to have disappointed a lot of people.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Sounds interesting.

I started it this afternoon, and it is starting well. (I like genealogical tables at the front, yes I do.)

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I just finished de Lisle's book The Sisters Who Would Be Queen and it was fabulous! This one is now on my wishlist...I can't wait to see what you think of it!