Andrew Mcleod's Reviews > A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary

A Woman in Berlin by Marta Hillers

Apr 12, 2010

Recommended to Andrew by: Kate Hills
Recommended for: Anyone
Read in March, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I hope to find time to devote a review to a book which certainly merits a substantial amount of space. But to record first impressions: firstly, presuming that it is genuine (and Anthony Beevor deals with that in his introduction; and furthermore it was published in around 1954, so even if not genuine retains credibility), I was amazed and impressed by the intelligence, fortitude, and pragmatism of the authoress. The next thing that struck me was the retention of a sense of humour despite the awful situation and experiences suffered; e.g. 'Better a Russian on top than a Yank overhead'. It reminded me of my visit to the holocaust museum in Washington, D.C., which contains a remarkable library, including at least one volume of ghetto and holocaust humour - the remarkable ability of people to make jokes in almost any situation is some mark of human nature.

The diary begins on the birthday of Adolf Hitler in April 1945 and ends in only around 2 months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman in Berlin.