thelastaerie's Reviews > The Darkling Thrush

The Darkling Thrush by Josh Lanyon

May 24, 12

Read in April, 2010

Josh Lanyon's 2nd fantasy story and the treasure-hunting theme is emerging :) As always, Lanyon does his research homework, even in a fantasy setting, you can feel the authenticity and historical accuracy in it - if that makes sense! Or he simply just created a very believable fantasy AU version of something we are familiar with, that's not something that can be easily achieved, IMO.

Now the plot is not complicated, but there's great build-up and unfolding of the mystery, as well as the momentum of the story. The romance part is short but precise. I find that the main character, Colin has gradually acknowledge his love for Septimus, as he finds out more about the mystery and the Septimus himself, so in a way, readers know these two are the real deal - before Colin would recognise this himself.

A thoroughly enjoyable and exciting adventure, if I have to ask for more... it would be that it's a full length novel, so we get more about Colin's doomed previous affair and maybe get to know Septimus a bit more.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkling Thrush.