Jennifer Hughes's Reviews > Hadassah: One Night With the King

Apr 12, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: nostrano
Read from April 12 to 21, 2010

I haven't found a book that I like yet about Old Testament figures, including Orson Scott Card's books.

I felt like this retelling of the story of Esther was a romance disguised as historical fiction--which is really weird, because I have a hard time with the believability of a romance where your husband can arbitrarily have you killed at a moment's notice because you displease him, and he also is sleeping with his harem of 100 concubines. Really? Sorry, didn't work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hadassah.

08/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith Gutierrez Have you read Francine Rivers? You might enjoy her novels... They were the first about Old Testament figures that I really enjoyed.

message 2: by Faith (new)

Jennifer Hughes Thanks for the suggestion! I do enjoy good historical fiction.

message 4: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy i've got a ton of authors and books on both my biblical fiction and christian fiction shelves, maybe take a gander

Maff I agree! So far am disappointed in this version of Esther too. I'm waiting to get a hold of Angela Hunt's one and hoping that will be a better version. I really enjoyed her Joseph trilogy (Legacy of the Ancient River) so hopefully her Esther novel will be just as good...fingers crossed! :)