Kris's Reviews > Cardboard: A Woman Left for Dead

Cardboard by Fiona Place

May 19, 10

Read from April 12 to May 09, 2010

The best descriptive I can give 'Cardboard: A woman left for dead' is different. Fiona Place does a fantastic job creating an air of confusion and dissociation for her main character; so much so that it took me several chapters to adapt to her writing style. I realise that Place wanted to ensure that the reader understood that one of the underlying factors associated with anorexia is the person's inability to relate to others and accept change or things they feel are out of their control. However, as a reader I was sometimes confused as to whether an event was currently happening, had happened in her mind five or ten minutes ago, or if the mental conversation had occurred years ago. I sometimes found myself wishing it were a little less confused.
I did find myself enjoying the prose that the main character either wrote in her journal or thought to her self. It reminded me of the soliloquies from Shakespeare to a certain extent.
As a whole I did enjoy the book. 'Cardboard' definitely gave me a different outlook about anorexia and it left me with a lot to think about. There were aspects of the book that frustrated me, but I found that it was those sections that I would think about after reading.
I would recommend the book, but I would caution that it is not an easy or fast read, so give yourself time before you begin.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cardboard.

04/12/2010 page 55
14.71% "Interesting. The poetry asides are different. Once you get used to them they complement the story quite well."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Thanks for the review - I can understand fully where you are coming from - controlling the confusion was a tricky affair to say the least - to have the character confused without confusing the reader as well was technically quite a feat - and no doubt I sometimes erred one way or the other!