Tracey's Reviews > His Majesty's Dragon

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Dec 01, 2007

bookshelves: libraryread, audiobook, libraryread-idm, re-read, alt-history, owned-etext, war-games, e-text
Read from January 18 to 25, 2016 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Revisiting the series once again - hoping to make it all the way thru via audiobook, thanks to the local library system.

----------
Previously read Feb 2008 - audiobook May 6-17 2011 and Nov 18-29 2013

I'm not normally into military/naval fiction, but the alt-fantasy twist got me quite intrigued and I found myself enjoying a ripping good yarn*!

While I couldn't help thinking of the dragons of Pern every once in awhile, Novik's portrayal of these dragons does not feel like a copy of McCaffrey's -- they're MUCH bigger and the military environment is very different. Novik's dragons also talk (vs being telepaths) and while there are male and female dragons (and riders), so far the romance/sex has been very muted.
-----------
* It didn't hurt that I envisioned Laurence as Norrington from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (rrrow!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Dragon.

11/18/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/30/2013 marked as: read
01/22/2016 marked as: currently-reading
01/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie I highly recommend it as well. A friend sent me the first three books and I enjoyed them all. So did my husband, who blasted through them before I did.