Lani's Reviews > The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler

Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: chicklit, kids, kindle
Read in July, 2011

I guess I hadn't read the description of this book since I added it to my to-read list because I didn't realize it was YA. But Amazon had a bunch of books on sale so I added this one.

Generally a pretty cute book, although I wasn't in the best frame of mind to read about a girl struggling with weight problems and self-harm. The main character, Virginia, actually reminded me a lot of Carmen in the 'Traveling Pants' series. I'm not sure exactly why, but her combination of spunkiness, insecurity, and random outbursts all seemed familiar.

It seemed like a fairly realistic depiction of a 15 year old's point of view about things. The first chapter in particular, when Virginia is having her first makeout session, seemed unfortunately all too familiar.

Like all good teen novels, it all turns out okay in the end. But the Shreves - the whole family, not just the youngest member - have to come to terms with some tougher issues.

I liked that the book had a variety of stronger ladies that refused to be victims. Virginia had some different role models when she was willing to look for them. It's nice to see that strength wasn't always found by talking to older women in the family, that sometimes younger women could also be good examples.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things.