AH's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Jul 04, 2011

bookshelves: first-in-series, library-finds, paranormal, zzread-june-2011, shifters, young-adult
Read from June 27 to 28, 2011

First thoughts when I found this book in the library: “Yes! Score!” Full disclosure: Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite Canadian authors. I love her easy-going storytelling style. I was a bit hesitant to pick up this book because I did not enjoy her Darkest Powers series as much as her adult series.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was captivated by the story and could not put the book down. The Gathering is the story of Maya Delaney, a 16 year old girl who lives in an extremely isolated community on Vancouver Island. Salmon Creek is home to about 200 residents who all work in mysterious research jobs for the St. Cloud Corporation. The residents have excellent health care, fantastic school, and good housing. That’s about all the information you get on the St. Cloud Corporation.

The setting was truly a win. Every time that I travel to British Columbia, it never ceases to amaze me just how isolated you can be only a few miles from a city or town. For some pictures of the area click here.

I really liked Maya’s character. She is strong and stands up for herself. She keeps her wits about her and doesn’t risk everything to get the boy. Definitely not a doormat! I love how the author slowly builds up Maya’s abilities. The reader learns about Maya’s powers at the same time as Maya. Maya’s affinity with animals was cute. Fitz the three legged bobcat, Marv the cougar, even her dog Kenji, all were attracted to Maya.

The other teenage characters were interesting as well. I can’t wait to see what becomes of Daniel. Rafe, the resident bad boy, seems to have a lot of surprises and secrets.

The inclusion of the cabals from Armstrong’s adult series was genius. As her YA readers get older, they will enjoy the connection of this series to Armstrong’s Men and Women of the Otherworld series.

My notes at the end of the book simply said: “ARGH! Don’t end the book here! I have so many questions! I want more! 2012 is too far away.”
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

06/27/2011 page 200
56.0% "This is way better than her other YA series." 7 comments
06/28/2011 page 359
100.0% "Wait! This is how you end this book? I have to wait until 2012? I have so many questions." 3 comments

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Go Canadians, lol. Great review. I didn't like her Darkest Powers series much either. I have to read her adult series.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Annie! You should read her adult series. Bitten has some parts in Toronto, and some cute Canadianisms like standing in line, and being polite, LOL.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL!! I will def check them out.

Flannery Oh, I agree about the setting. Vancouver Island is so beautiful--the entire Pacific Northwest and British Columbia area is. Then again, maybe I'm biased? ;)

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I am too. I grew up in that part of the world and I miss it sometimes. I can't believe all the wildlife we see when we go there, even in the city.

I spent two summers on Gabriola Island, near Nanaimo. Beautiful...

Greta is Erikasbuddy Great review!!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Greta! Are you planning on reading this one?

message 8: by Greta is Erikasbuddy (last edited Jul 06, 2011 03:22PM) (new)

Greta is Erikasbuddy I'm not sure yet... still deciding ;)