Colleen Turner's Reviews > Beautiful Malice

Apr 26, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: first-read
Read from April 12 to 26, 2010

I received this free of charge in a first read giveaway on

Katherine Patterson (who used to be Katie Boydell before changing her name) moves to a new town after the tragic rape and murder of her younger sister. While trying to remain out of the spotlight, she befriends the beautiful and charismatic Alice Parrie and is simply enamored by her. Katherine soon discovers, however, that Alice isn't as nice and generous as she first appears to me. No, Alice can be down right cruel. And when Katherine begins to move on with a new love and a life without Alice, she discovers just how cruel Alice can be.

I can't say that I loved this book. I had the hardest time relating to any of the characters and found some of the plot contrived. While what happened to Katherine's sister was horrible, I felt a little let down when the truth was reveiled. You keep hearing how horrible it was and how the whole thing was Katherine's fault, but when I finally read what happened and how Katherine was involved I felt like it was a horrible thing but not something that would cause someone to move away and change their name. Then, Katherine puts up with the rudest behavior from Alice and just keeps being her friend. The relationship between Katherine and Mick was sweet, but it seemed so rushed and a little too "star-crossed lovers" for the plot. The book had potential, but just fell short for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Malice.