Simon's Reviews > Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration of the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation and Time Travel

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

Apr 12, 10

I won't pretend to have properly understood more than a quarter of the theoretical physics covered in this book but you'd have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy a book that discusses topics such as nuclear fired x-ray lasers, ramjet fusion engines and nanobots.

What this book does brilliantly is to introduce the basics of theoretical physics (eg quantam theory, Newtonian mechanics, Maxwell's theory of light, how a laser works etc) and to survey the keenest cutting-edge of contemporary technology (interesting for a Gadget Show fan like me). Also, as some of you may be aware, the rise of the robots has been a worry of mine for some time and it was reassuring to read Kaku's views on the advantages of the human brain and the difficulties of creating higher artificial intelligence.

The only thing that stops me from giving this book five stars is the fact that the front cover has a mugshot of the author on it, right in the middle. Maybe it was his mother's idea.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Impossible.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Clague I recommend Stephen Poole's nonfiction reviews in the guardian on Saturdays - he quite often reviews this type of book along with other stuff that ends up being down my street. Also, his book - Unspeak - is truly brilliant.