Maciek's Reviews > Relentless

Relentless by Dean Koontz

Apr 14, 10

bookshelves: owned-books, crap, own-in-paperback, read-in-2010, reviewed
Recommended for: Masochists ?
Read from April 12 to 13, 2010 — I own a copy

RELENTLESSLY IDIOTIC. 0 STARS.
UTTER RUBBISH - AN INSULT TO THE READER.

I find it hard to believe it got published. It sells only because of the name recognition. The publishing company advertises it with the praise Koontz received ages ago for his earlier, better novels and voila ! We have a new $20 harcdover, the cash flows in and everyone is happy. Except for the readers.

Cubby Greenwich is a writer of bestselling books, and his latest title (One O� Clock Jump) got the attention of a famous and feared book critic, Shearman Waxx (yes, that's a real name). Waxx calls Cubby on the phone and utters one word: DOOM. Then Cubby is one the run because the critic wants to kill him for writing the book...as he has killed other writers whose books he didn't like.
AND THAT'S IT. There's nothing more. That's the whole plot. With a setting so idiotic and preposterous the reader might wonder how bad the book will turn out to be, and believe me, it is HORRIBLE.
It's page after page of Koontz bitching about things.

He wastes no time. At the first page the reader is introduced to the Greenwich family, which is, of course, exceptional.

-Cubby Greenwich, a bestselling writer who states that " Even with a gun to my head, I am capable of being convulsed with laughter". Of course Cubby has a mysterious past.
-Penny Boom, whose parents own a demolishing company and a stronghold. Yes, a stronghold. She's "too smart and too witty and too graceful", she's Venus herself but curiously Dean does not tell us that. She's of course a highly succesful children novelist.
-Milo, who is of course a child prodigy. Milo excells at basically everything (he reads fing Dostoevsky at the age of six) and constructs a mysterious thing through the whole book. When his father asks him what he's building he refuses to tell, and there are whole pages of stuff like this:
-Come on, tell me !
This is the suspense factor in the book, because there's no other thing that can be classified as suspense in this collection of pages. Of course it's obvious that he's building a miraculous device that will rescue the heroes from certain death, and as if (surprisingly of course) turns out - THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE'S DOING. Surprise surprise ! Are you crying yet ? The best is before us.

Writing about a book writer, Koontz couldn't help himself and slip some subtle parrarels to himself. This of course means that the whole novel is a big FINGER to all critics that dared to neglect or underestimate his work, but I doubt any critics today even glance at it - instead of enjoying it, they would wonder how a good writer can turn into a hack in just a few years ?

First of the parrarels, the title of the fictional book that angered the critic is One O�Clock Jump - which was his preferred title for his work that got published as The Bad Place

Second, there are slips of dialogue that just give the guy away. Remember how he was criticized for constanly lame dialogue and goofy jokes in his most recent work ? You'll never guess what Cubby says after reading the critics' review.
"Olivia, this Waxx guy doesn�t understand my book is in part a comic novel" - DOH!
The riposte by the RKFC (Random Koontz Female Character) is as follows:
"No, dear, he doesn�t. And you should be grateful for that, because if he realized it was funny, he would have said that it failed as a comic novel - DOH!(2)

Here's my favorite. Koontz has become so prolix and constantly showers his recent work with purple prose and lame metaphors that is reads like a first novel by an 8-grader who has just bought himself a shining new set of thesauruses.

�"He thinks a solid metaphor is �ponderous prose."�� - Dean baby, please...

He can't help himself - he's so into defending himself that his RKFC states:

"He�'s a product of the modern university, Cubby. Figures of speech are considered oppressive."� - employing asinine comparisons that are meant to sound as abstruse metaphors whose purpose is to add fake "depth" and "meaning" is not opressive - it's shitty. He blames the universities but wants to write like an academic, like a poet, like a...writer.

But the funniest thing is still ahead. What's the explanation for all this crap ?

"-Oppressive? Who do they oppress?�"
"�-Those who don�t understand them.�" - yeah baby ! blame us humans for hating this crap. I'm not a bestselling writer, I'm not even a writer but I can crank open a thesaurus and crack out a metaphor that would blow your pants away, that would look like the first flower of Spring because it sprouts as expected and promises beauty and opportunities to play and relax, that would sound like a drum roll with a steady beat which bobbles along as we anticipate great happenings, and that would taste like a favorite scoop of ice cream which you cuddle and savor as it melts and dissolves away.
But I like the human race, and with so many problems going on who wants to read endless pages of stuff like that ? Moderation ! Moderation ! Gluttony is a sin!
If you're writing for the world you have to write in such a way that the world could understand you. If a novel is criticized because of its stupidity and incoherent language it's not the fault of the reader - but of the writer.

It's gets worse. Koontz always tries to force his agenda on his readers, by employing his "characters" to say what he really thinks. This attempt at brainwashing is especially evident in Relentless.
At one point the main character sees the laptop of his son, states that he has never seen such screensaver and goes on a rant:

"The Internet is more a force for evil than for good. It offers the worst of humankind absolute license and anonymity� and numerous addictive pursuits over which to become obsessive. Kids are having innocence and willpower� if not free will itself �stolen from them.

Koontz doesn't use the internet. He doesn't know about the charity sites that help millions of people daily. He doesn't know how the internet helps people who are separated by millions of miles. He doesn't know how many succesful relationships were formed and maintained thanks to the internet. He doesn't know how the internet is the only true free medium in the world, without control and censorship which helps millions of people in forming and voicing their protests, sorrows or cheers.
Instead he goes on a rant titled "WEB IS BAD MKAY?" and bitches like a bored, uneducated housewife how the internet hurts little kids. THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! And guess what - the guns that you love so much are used to KILL PEOPLE!
DAILY!

His inexperience with the internet is obvious later, when all the characters are worried because one of them went to Waxx's website and somehow the website can track her down by...her E-MAIL adress. E-Mail ? Has anyone ever heard of an I.P. ? No one ? Editor ? Is there an Editor at Harper ? No ?

He goes on and on, throws constantly some neo-hippy ideas about the current state of society. Here's some:

"Are the victims so committed to a reasoned disbelief in the existence of Evil that, when face-to-face with its agent, they are incapable of acknowledging their error?

Or are they capable of recognizing Evil but unable to believe there is a power opposed to it that stands ready to give them the strength� and a reason �to survive?

Perhaps it is the nurtured narcissism of our age that leaves some unable to imagine their deaths even as the bullet is in the barrel."

Nurtured narcissism ? I know alliteration's cool but come on !

"In her research, she also discovered that some writers and artists of a new philosophical movement were relocating to Smokeville or were considering doing so. They hoped to establish a creative community.

Like Henry Casas and Tom Landulf, these people rejected both the nihilism and utopianism of our time and of the previous 150 years. They sought a future based not on the theories of one man or on one narrow ideology, but on the centuries of tradition and wisdom from which their civilization had grown."

Dean's an old timer, but here he sounds like an old fart. I wonder when he will go full Amish and add start writings about cows and their endless fluid influence on all newborns.

Remember how he wrote about the internet ? Here are his views on killing, his favorite subject when it comes to expressing views, uttered by no one other but a Sheriff.

The true commandment is �Thou shalt not murder.� It doesn�t say �kill� in the original language, because killing�s a whole different thing from murder. Furthermore, Moses didn�t provide us categories of murder, some worse than others. If you�re going to go door-to-door for Jesus, Mr. Greenwich, you better learn-up a bit.�

Yeah, only bad people use the bad internet but when you kill someone it's completely different. I don't know why but it is ! Look, I made the sherriff say it. You have to believe him. Please. Please !

"Thou shalt not murder, but killing is a whole different thing from murder. Self-defense isn�t a transgression, defense of the innocent is required, they give medals for defense of the innocent."

Yeah. Blast away pops ! Heaven awaits, all angels are going to give you a medal.

I won't mention the mother trying not to swear in front of her soon on the escape, but has no problem with sentences like If the time comes to kill you, I won�t make it as easy as a needle. Thumbs up mom !

Koontz wouldn't be himself if he wouldn't give the finger to Hollywood and performers of any music that isn't Elvis or Sinatra. He even managed to slip in his conservativity.

"Beyond the service-island overhang, in the windless night, the rain came down in such straight skeins that the rigorous lines should have proved the law of gravity to any disbeliever, of which I�m sure there are multitudes, considering we live in an age of enthusiastic ignorance, when anything well-known for centuries is not only suspect but also considered worthy of being rejected in favor of a new theory more appealing to movie stars and deep-thinking rock musicians."

It's pathetic.Pathetic.

The level of stupidity in this book reaches the top with the kid. Koontz can't write kids so he makes them child prodigies, which allows them to talk like twenty year old people and he can always say "hey, they're prodigies! they're supposed to talk like that!". However, here he loses track of what the kid really is - a kid or a prodigy - and interweaves both personalities of a six year old boy to an effect that cannot even ewoke laughter because it's bad, pathetically bad, VERY bad. The example:

"Milo envied our black raincoats and profoundly disliked his bright yellow gear. "�I look like a baby chicken.�"
and:
Milo said, �Sometimes, you forget I�m a kid but I�m also not. It isn'�t my primary field, but I�m interested in aberrant psychology.

Baby chicken ? primary field ? abberant psychology ?
Schizophrenia anyone ?

The revelation is atrocious. Apparently the critic was sent by his own mother who is a big Rosseau fan and wants to destroy all literature and culture to follow his vision. The critic is killed by his brother who has a lizard-face, and the mother shots our hero Cubby. However, wise son Milo foresaw this and constructed a TIME MACHINE (which can also do some TELEPORTATION), reversed the time a bit which allowed for our hero to conveniently dispose of the adversary. It's a Deus Ex Machina of such proportions that I don't even know how to name it.
Oh, and the boy experimented with the dog to see if it could teleport and apparently after the experiments the dog learned to teleport on its own (which means another superdog, awesome) and it's an explanation of it's mysterious appearances in closed drawers and such.

This world changing quote deserves a special page, but Goodreads doesn't allow it so it gets here. It's by the evil mother character.

"I have pioneered the new science of designing culture. I haveshaped American and hence world culture(...)" Yeah, all world blindly follows the American way. I'm afraid that's not the truth Dean. We know you're a proud American but you went waaaaay over the top here.

I almost forgot the closing passages...

"We follow the news as much as we can tolerate it. We see the signs, the gathering clouds, the horror that could come upon the whole world."

I'm afraid he doesn't mean the starving children in distant countries.

In spite of all that we have seen and now know, we have not lost hope, neither has our hope been diminished. We have a dog that teleports. We know what matters in life and what does not. We have a son who will one day provide the means for the sane to reclaim civilization from those who value theories more than truth and utopian dreams more than people.

I can't believe I'm reading this but it's in the book. Let's all go back on the trees, it would be much nicer, and you could even do a little up-skirt peeking !

Shearman Waxx was not relentless. Evil itself may be relentless, I will grant you that, but love is relentless, too. Friendship is a relentless force. Family is a relentless force. Faith is a relentless force. The human spirit is relentless, and the human heart outlasts�and can defeat�even the most relentless force of all, which is time.

- employ enough pathos, emphasize the importance of family and friendship, bind it, stick on a price and Wallmart shelves are yours. Because that's exactly what it is. A poor, uninspired drivel.

The title "Relentless" and the advert on the back cover "Dean Koontz - Can you keep up ?" brought to my mind an image.
An aging writer, who stays in his house all year, and works 18 hours shifts.
An aging writer who desperately tries to compete with younger and better in their field, a field in which he desperately tries to find a place for himself.
An aging writer who was once great, but now tries to appeal to a whole new audience by writing in a new genre.
An aging writer, who relentlessly revises the page and scribbles new annotations, who feels that the fate of the whole world lies on his shoulders, that he has to educate and entertain, and that he has to work, work, work because there's a deadline coming, and then another, and then a new book has to be written. The print got much larger, but the time to write got much shorter...
An aging writer who shut himself from the world wide web which interestingly is a great source of knowledge about real people, who concentrates only on his work and doesn't acknowledge any influences except his own writings which he rehashes more and more.
And as I am writing this, he's writing another book. Or two. Or three. At the same time.

God help us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relentless.

04/12/2010 page 200
show 1 hidden update…

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Well, I appreciate your opinion but Relentless is still one of my favorites. Relentless restored my faith in Koontz after the terrible disappointment of Your Heart Belongs to Me. The little tidbit you shared about One O'Clock Jump and The Bad Place was interesting - I didn't know that :-)

message 2: by Maciek (last edited Apr 16, 2010 02:02AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maciek I've read it in the afterword. Lots of interesting facts there, also a little story about how The Bad Place was almost a movie.
Out of pure curiosity, what did you like in this book ? I can't find anything of value in it.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I loved the thrill ride of Relentless! I've read the book twice now :-) I absolutely loved the book the first time I read it last June. I re-read Relentless earlier this year too; I was still in love with the story but didn't like the ending as much the second time around.

message 4: by Matt R. (new) - added it

Matt R. Hmm, I still plan to read this book. I think we are all just drawn to certain books. It is definitely interesting to see how we all rate books.

message 5: by Maciek (last edited Apr 17, 2010 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maciek Was there a thrill ride ? I must have missed it. I was on a ride with lots of angry rantings from a frustrated old man. Basically all of the book is filled with Koontz's bi***ing about materialism, stupid book critics , the horrible internet, crumbling society and the loss of basic human values, the stuff that's important but not in a thriller. It's filled to the brim with this garbage and it doesn't help in any way. If Koontz wanted to write about the decline of humanity maybe he should write a non-fiction book and not pollute his recent "works". I even got a title - "The world is bad - you paid 20 bucks for this so you better believe".

The characters are flat as hell, as always in his newer books. The dialogue is horrible, he injects his characters with tons of fake intelectual sarcasm that makes them sound exactly the same. Apparently all people in this book talk nonsense 24/7.
The story is a whiny, incompetent mess, utterly generic and unsatysfying, not something I'd expect from Dean Koontz, the author of novels like "Midnight" or "The Bad Place". He seems to be releasing drafts and not actual works just for the sake of keeping up with the competition. For someone who moans so much about the current state of society and the loss of values it's really surprising, because he doesn't contribute anything to literature except for this garbage.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky I want to "like" this review twice. Hilarious!!

I just have to comment on the ridiculous names. Apparently Dean ran out of real people names, and started naming people after cartoon characters and stuffed animals.

"Cubby"? Penny (Go, go Gadget) Boom, whose parents are in demolition?? Really? Milo? Please tell me the dog's name was Otis. :P
And I'm surprised that the kid's name wasn't "Buddy" or something, given the double-consonant naming system he seems to have used for all the other main characters. Waxx?

Too funny. Love your review, Maciek. Although now I wonder if you fall into the "evil critic" category that Dean was railing against? ;)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Milo is an inventor too :-) And the Booms, well they're just Dynamite characters in my opinion!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky Dustin wrote: "Milo is an inventor too :-) And the Booms, well they're just Dynamite characters in my opinion!"

Ha!

Maciek Thanks Becky :) Unfortunately I don't have a cartoon name, hell my name isn't even American so I can't be the villain, can I ?
The bad thing is that Dean's characters actually became cartoon characters and stuffed animals. You're on the edge of your seat waiting for the hidden camera to pop up, because a world where such stuff gets published and marketed as "relentless thrillers" must be a show.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky Maciek wrote: "Thanks Becky :) Unfortunately I don't have a cartoon name, hell my name isn't even American so I can't be the villain, can I ?"

You'll just have to shorten it to "Mac" and then you'll qualify. :P

Maciek It's almost like Mac Burger. It's a perfect example of American consumerism and a great name for a villain. If I were a writer I'd write my next novel about an owner of a restaurant chain marketed by a clown with red hair, who wants to kill a succesful writer of cooking books, because he promotes healthy nutrition. I'd even feature a lettuce eating dog and a spinach-loving prodigy kid who can recite 156 ways to boil an egg just like that.
Ingenious !

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky I think you'll be a hit with that one. Yes, indeedy. Maybe you could make Mr. Clowny-Red-Hair go insane and start poisoning the food he serves, but the poison is so delicious that people just can't stop eating it until they all die.

message 13: by Maciek (last edited Apr 17, 2010 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Maciek And at the end a Golden Retriever will save the day just by arriving at the scene. Just by its presence all villains will fall and all heroes will win.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky Maciek wrote: "I don't think Wallmart has enough shelves to stock this bestseller and enough kleenex for all the fortunate folk that'll be granted the honor of reading it."

You will have to make it pre-order only... There aren't enough shelves in the world for a best-seller of this magnitude.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark ouch....fab review. Have just ordered ' Cold Fire ' to dip my tootsie in the Koontz pool. I may avoid this one though

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I Loved Relentless :-)

Maciek Thanks, Maerhys. This was such a piece of crap. It's genuinely one of the worst books I have ever read, even for Koontz's standards, and I read widely.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Well, I for one crazy little brown owl, continue to relentlessly love the amazing dramatic Koontz masterpiece known as Relentless. The Boom Family is Dynamite!

message 19: by Jane (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jane You are so right about the constant bitching. It's annoying and distracting and is starting to make me dislike a writer that I once loved. Very sad.

Maciek Thank you, Jane! I pushed this book out of my mind, it was so terrible!

Joraya As much as this review cracks me up, it's terribly true yet Relentless is still one of my favorite books. Guilty pleasure maybe?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Joraya wrote: "As much as this review cracks me up, it's terribly true yet Relentless is still one of my favorite books. Guilty pleasure maybe?"

Relentless is also one of my very favorites :-) Joraya, you belong in Koontzland! Please join us soon:

Maciek Joraya wrote: "As much as this review cracks me up, it's terribly true yet Relentless is still one of my favorite books. Guilty pleasure maybe?"

I don't know - I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Maciek Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Joraya wrote: "As much as this review cracks me up, it's terribly true yet Relentless is still one of my favorite books. Guilty pleasure maybe?"

Relentless is also one of my very favorites :-) Jor..."

My friend Dustin loves this book and he actively discusses it in the group. :)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I am very Relentless about Relentless :-) I love the characters of Cubby, Shearmann Waxx, Penny Boom (and her parents), Milo, and Lassie. I someday hope to meet these characters in person - they seem so real to me. Maybe when a Koontz theme park is created called Koontzland, my dream will become reality.

message 26: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Guerra Wow. I haven't read Relentless and I'm definitely not interested in reading it now. Some of Koontz books are spectacular while others seem as though they were written by a child. Is relentless as bad as Breathless?

After getting halfway through Breathless I couldn't take it anymore and stopped. I felt like I was reading something a child had written and was surprised to find out that it was a recent work from Koontz. It's a shame to see a writer's works getting worse through time instead of improving.

Maciek Roberto, I think they're at least equally bad though this one might be even worse! This one is spectacularly bad and not worth the paper it's printed on.

I have also read Breathless and thought it was craptastically bad as well. This seems to be the trend for his recent work which receives poorer and poorer reviews - as you said, a shame.

message 28: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Guerra When I first read Breathless (at least as far as I was able to go)I thought it might have been one of Koontz' first works (maybe he was still in High School when he wrote it) that he just happened to find as a manuscript in his attic and decided to publish it years later.

I wonder if this is actually the case. Maybe these are books that he wrote when he was merely an aspiring author and has decided to use these in order to meet his quota from the publishers, allowing him to take some time off while still giving the impression of being and active writer.

I just can't understand how he could go from something like Odd Thomas, which I really liked, to something like Breathless, which I think my eleven year old sister could do a better job at.

Either that or Koontz has given up on writing while he's sober.

Maciek I don't think so - I think that they're just bad books which unfortunately he keeps pushing out for whatever reason! (mostly to stay on the market). His earlier work is noticeably different - I read all of his novels except the early and out of print ones.

It seems that the Odd Thomas series is his most appreciated work now, though the enthusiasm is also winding down as it goes on. Perhaps it's time to call it quits?

message 30: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Guerra Yes.

If this is so, I think Koontz is a shot writer.

What a shame.

Maciek I've read basically all of his work except for the science fiction he published under a pseudonym, and can see a really visible decline in quality of his fiction - while there are certainly big flaws in basically all of his novels he managed to win the audience with his unique combination of genres and ideas. Lately, his invention has all but gone away and I stopped reading his work since I do not get any pleasure from it anymore. His best period in my opinion is from 1983 to around 1995.

Danielle Morgan I have never been so bafeled by the ending of a book. Seriously, I don't understand what point was trying to be made. Did I miss why exactly they tortured the writers and families.??? Ahhh, please explain it to me. This book left me so frustrated. Great commentary by you though, thank you. I don't feel so alone now.

Maciek Thank you, Danielle! I literally threw this book our of my memory. It was so awful!

Danielle Morgan I want to just dismiss it but I feel after the time I put in to it that I deserve answers, lol! Unlike Koontz I will search the world wide web.

Maciek LOL! Good choice.

message 36: by Marie (new) - rated it 1 star

Marie Your review of this book is spot on. I have been a Koontz fan since the early 70's, but something has happened to his writing of late. This was beyond ridiculous. I hated the cutesy/perfect/extraordinary family, the stupid deus ex machina ending (REALLY?), and the fact that I felt I had just received a stern lecture when I was finished reading it. Modern Art = BAD/EVIL! Technology = BAD/EVIL!

Danielle, I think the ending was supposed to be this: This mysterious group of bad modern art loving people will find them and kill them because their books are too beautiful, so they have to hide out until they die, and then their work can shine in the world. This was obviously his personal "F you" to critics who don't like his work. It's a shame we're the ones who had to pay for it. I've found this with another bestselling author (Patricia Cornwell, ugh). It's like they get so big, their fans will buy their books no matter what they put out, and the book companies will publish it regardless of whether it's any good or not.

Maciek Thank you, Marie! I agree with what you said. I read basically all of Koontz's work and liked most of it for what it was. This one is particularly terrible and I wonder why it even got published.

Danielle Morgan Many thanks Marie! It's been a few days and I'm still troubled, lol!

message 39: by Jared (new) - rated it 1 star

Jared One of the most accurate reviews I've ever read. *applauds*

Maciek Jared wrote: "One of the most accurate reviews I've ever read. *applauds*"

Thank you, Jared! :)

message 41: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Savin I guess to each his own. I have to side with Dustin Crazy on this one, I loved it and found it hard to put down. :)

Maciek Glad you liked it Jeff! :)

natasha I just finished Relentless, and I feel like you don't notice just how flawed it is until after you think about it. of course, there are times when you have to put the book down and think "really?" (like the giant spiders from Stephen King's The Mist-oh god what was that!?).
I have to say though, I liked Relentless SO much more than Tick Tock. Koontz is supposed to be one of the greatest thriller writers ever, but so far I don't see it. I see things in his writing I do like, but it's not as great as everyone says.
I'm giving him a chance though, because I want to find ONE that is in all aspects a good book. So I've just recently started Darkfall-one of his earlier books, so hopefully it'll be better?
already though, the main character's name is Penny-sound familiar? Penny Boom, what're you doing in this book?
I absolutely hate the female characters he writes, but I'm interested in seeing how Darkfall turns out being from the point of view of a child...and a female one at that.
Often times when reading Koontz, I see the potential of the book but it's always ruined by something totally unrealistic (genius child, time machine?) in Tick Tock, I was totally cool with the idea of the possessed doll. But then....aliens? psychics? the doll is supernatural? no. NO.
I don't know, I don't find it very "thrilling" if it's so obviously fake. y'know!?

Maciek Hi Natasha,

I've read Darkfall several years ago and didn't find it to be very good. It's one of his earlier works, and was originally written under a pseudonym - the storyline makes little sense and it's very very cheesy.

Dean Koontz has built quite a reputation since the 80's and I read all of his books, since I can gobble up most of them in a couple hours. He has written a ton of books and most of them use the same tropes, which can get boring really fast when you read a couple of them in quick succession. All of Dean Koontz's characters sound like Dean Koontz's idea of them, but he had good plots and a sense of pacing and imagery, and paid attention to his language - which is rare in thrillers and admittedly some of his phrases didn't work out very good (especially in his newer books) and the dialogue always hurt the ears, but it's obvious he worked a lot on his sentences to polish them up the best he could.

Most of Koontz's books resolve in a way which is totally out of the left-field - be it a magical apparition or a powerful laser beam out of the sky (it's a real ending to one of his books - I won't say which), and most of them aren't really good books by any way. Still, he's a nostalgic author for me and I keep them as I like the picture of the bald guy with a moustache on most of the back covers, and these simple novels remind me of earlier, gentler times of my life when I could read about terrible space aliens and government conspiracies well up to the morning before I had to go to school. Most of it is not really very thrilling and is fake like you said, but the nostalgia glasses do their thing when I think about them - just don't want to read them again as to not be shown how bad they really are.

Denise Was just about to comment and ask why you keep reading all of his books, when you find them so torturous and awful, then I saw your above comment. I actually really liked Relentless. Okay, the end was a little weird, but I thoroughly enjoyed the chase to get there. :)

Maciek Glad you enjoyed it, Denise! I liked a lot of his books when I was younger, but don't like the recent ones. Still give them a try every now and then, for old time's sake, but have yet to read one I'd really like. :)

Denise I like a lot of his older books better, too. As for his older ones, I loved Strangers. Dare I ask how you felt about that one? Lol. ;)

Denise No idea why that posted twice...sorry. -_-

Maciek I liked it! Just one or two days ago I was talking about it with a friend and said that it'd make a fun mini-series. :)

« previous 1