Karagan's Reviews > Beautiful Malice

May 11, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads, read-in-2010, read-in-2010_04, ya, giveaway-wins
Read on April 23, 2010 — I own a copy

After the murder of her younger sister, Katherine Patterson starts a new life at a new school as she attempts to escape the media, her parents’ depression, and her own guilt. There, she meets Alice and quickly begins a friendship with the clearly narcissistic sociopath. Eventually, she also bonds with fellow victims of Alice’s rancorous personality, finding love and peace despite her friend’s antics.

For the entire first half of this book, I felt dragged through a world of mostly text book, one-dimensional characters. With the second half offering slight surprises here and there, I was only mildly interested enough to keep reading. The deaths were dull and unimaginative. The constant time jumping, likely written to arouse suspense and curiosity, left me in a state of annoyance and frustration as it completely disrupted the flow of what, from my understanding, was meant to be a thriller. Quite honestly, the only thrill I got was in the anti-climactic end as Katherine got her chance at what I stretch to call a happily ever after.

The only character who held an inkling of appeal to me was Robbie, a young man who has lost his mother and who finds no support or comfort from his emotionally wrecked father. One who is willing to succumb to the poison that is Alice so as to feel even an iota of happiness that she able to give him despite the destruction she brings to his heart and mind.

*Won through the Goodreads first-reads giveaway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Malice.

08/29/2016 marked as: read