Buggy's Reviews > Naked in Death

liked it
bookshelves: lit-boyfriend, rom-susp, shelf-10
Recommended to Buggy by: Lokster
Read from May 06 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy

Opening Line:"She woke in the dark"

~ANOTHER CONFIRMED ROARKE GROUPIE~
What can I say about NAKED IN DEATH that hasn’t been said already? Well obviously I don’t need to go into the plot because that’s been done to DEATH (sorry) I will say though that because so many people recommended this book to me and because my friend Lokster eventually gave me a copy I did feel somewhat obligated to read it. Robb’s 'Death' series is 30 books long now (and counting) which is somewhat daunting when starting a new series, so a part of me really didn’t want to get hooked on this and for the first hundred pages or so I can honestly say that I didn’t.

But then something happened, or I should say someone happened. Someone in the form of a charming, mysterious and utterly addictive Irish billionaire and murder suspect named Roarke. Yes, damn his sweet button carrying self but my new literary boyfriend saved this book because quite frankly detective Eve Dallas on her own isn’t very likable and I’m also not really a fan of the police procedurals. It’s the sweetness, romance, patience and delicious mystery of Roarke that will keep me coming back.

I also had a hard time understanding why Robb chose to set this in the future (sort of) I say sort of because she never went all the way with her future aspect. Sure she mentions in passing a few cool gadgets (an autochef would really come in handy) and theres flying cars, robot servants, off world business meetings and plenty of clever new cop toys but except for the legalized prostitution and gun prohibition it’s still the New York we know of today. I just feel that if Robb was going to go for the whole future angle then she should have gone all the way or just not bothered because her BladeRunneresque vision was gimmicky and rather pointless to the story. But that’s just my opinion.

Of course theres a lot to like here too; obviously Robb’s (Nora Roberts) writing is top notch and she spins a well planned, easy to read, dark mystery here. Her characters have also been completely fleshed out, in particular Eve. Who although crass, hands off and by the book has enough flaws and skeletons in the closet that you can’t help but sympathize with her and hope she loosens up a bit and lets a certain someone in. Which brings me back to Roarke. Maybe this quote describes him best, Cheers!

“You got a button fetish Roarke?”
“I’ve been carrying this around like a schoolboy carries a lock of his sweetheart’s hair.”
Her eyes came back to his, and something sweet moved through her. Sweeter yet as she could see he was embarrassed.
“That’s weird.”
“I thought so, myself.” But he slipped the button back in his pocket.
“Do you know what else I think, Eve?”
“I don’t have a clue.”
“I think I’m in love with you.”

*Sigh* Yeah so I’m starting book 2 Glory in Death as we speak

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

05/09/2010 page 60
18.75% "Roarke has piqued my interest but I am STRUGGLING through this"
05/10/2010 page 169
52.81% ""I don't like the idea of you shivering unless I cause it. Stay warm." I want a Roarke of my own!"
05/11/2010 page 228
71.25% ""You got a button fetish, Roarke?""
show 1 hidden update…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-33 of 33) </span> <span class="smallText">(33 new)</span>

message 1: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Great review Buggy, another series i have to look into. Curses to you,lol.

Buggy This one is curses to the Lokster! She got me hooked!

message 3: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Well I am gonna go curse her,lol.

Dina Oh my, I love this series!!! I've read and reread all the books and short stories countless times and can't wait to get my hands on the next release. In my little psycho world, I'm married to Roarke. ;)

Buggy Its not a psycho world Dina Roarke is just awesome (in my top 5 literary boyfriends) and in all honesty the only reason I've kept reading the series. He is just too lovely.

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Aug 29, 2010 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish My daughter LOVES all of these books and owns most of them. One of the few things she'll spend her own money on are In Death books. Though to be honest, she tried to get me to spend MY money on them first, but as I'm not yet reading the series, I stood firm and refused. LOL

Dina Buggy wrote: "Does he continue to be as interesting throughout the series?? I can't imagine how their relationship can remain interesting after they're married (they do get married right?) I just finished book 2 and he asked her at the end."

Have no fear, Buggy. Roarke remains verrrry interesting till this day. You've only scratched the surface of his character so far, there's so much more to learn about him - just keep reading! You'll also learn a lot about Eve as the series progresses. Do they get married? Keep reading, LOL!

You'll also get to know several new secondary characters through the course of the series. They're all three-dimensional characters with lives of their own and interesting storylines, but they don't overshadow Roarke and Eve, of course. Hands down, Peabody is the best secondary character I've ever met and you're about to meet her. :)

As for the tone of the series, you'll find out that some books are more romance-driven and others are more mystery-driven. I love them all because I love whodunit novels, but some readers don't like the ID mystery-driven books that much.

Dina UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "My daughter LOVES all of these books and owns most of them. One of the few things she'll spend her own money on are In Death books. Though to be honest, she tried to get me to spend MY money on the..."

Smart move, UM. Now you can read her books for free, LOL.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Dina wrote: "
Smart move, UM. Now you can read her books for free, LOL."

Yeah, for a change! LOL

Yz the Whyz If you enjoyed this book, I recommend the audiobook version. I'm up to Book 7 so far, and I'm loving Susan Erickssen's narration. I love how she does Roarke.

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Yz the Whyz wrote: "I love how she does Roarke."

Oooh, naughty Dina wants to do Roarke too. ;)

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet oh yeah. Roarke is hot! There are 30 books in the series now? Wow! I've got some catching up to do! Probably have to start over at the beginning, don't you think? ;)

message 13: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY I bought the entire series last year but have not added the latest ones, whatever they are. I adored Roarke in the first two or three but by the time I got to the 4th book, the plot was getting too predictable. I haven't picked the series back up since then.

...but the books look nice on my bookshelf, tho'.

message 14: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren My favorite series :)
Roarke is definitely always on top of my romance book's boyfriends list :))

Nissie Great review, Buggy! I haven't read any of these in a while. I'm going to have to drag them back out and see which ones I'm missing. Eve is not my favorite character in the world, but I can put up with her to get to Roarke. :D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Buggy! Ren recommended this series to me and raved about Roarke, but as you say, the number of books in this series is daunting. But if Roarke managed to become your new literary boyfriend, I should check this series out sooner! I love the quote! *sighs*

Nissie Roarke has more girlfriends than any man who ever lived!! Either on the page or off! I think Eve should watch her back. I think EVERYONE who has read these loves him. Even guys who have read them think Roarke is cool!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I want me some Roarke NOW!!! LOL I've requested him though my library. They better get him to me soon!

Nissie Jayne, if I have any duplicates, I'd be happy to send them to you! I know it wouldn't be NOW since you're in Australia, but it might be quicker than the library!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Awww...That's so sweet of you, Nissie! Apparently one of the copies is due back in a couple weeks, so I think I can wait til then. ^_^

Nissie Okay. Just let me know if you change your mind. I'm going to try to go through them in the next few days. I hope you don't have to wait much longer, but Roarke is worth the wait! :)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks, Nissie! You're awesome! ^_^

Nissie Aww thank you! And you're welcome! :)

message 24: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Jayne you must read this :D
Unfortunately the publisher in Indonesia just only publish until Witness in Death and they plan to publish the next book Betrayal in Death next year!!
A few years ago, they always print In Death 3-4 times for a year, but this year just 2 books out.
Me and my friend almost faint when we hear that Betrayal will be published next year.
Give us Roarke ASAP :(

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I will read it soon, Ren!

What number is Betrayal in Death? I haven't gotten to know Roarke yet but I can just imagine how hard it would be to wait for more of him! Do you still have all the other books? I know it's not the same, but you can always revisit him when you miss him. ^_^

message 26: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Betrayal in Death is the 10th book Jayne.
Yes i have 9 books before it, and i have reread it again and again. it seems I'm so addicted to Roarke.
I know some people say he is too good to be true, too perfect.
But well, a girl can dream anyway ;).
Everyone will want perfect husband like him, so loving, so caring.
Huff, I'm envy with Eve *lol*

message 27: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Sep 26, 2010 04:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wow, and there already almost 30 books? And they are only releasing 2 a year in Indonesian? I understand even more your frustration now, Ren!

Too good to be true? Well, that's what a fantasy hero is, isn't it? ^_^

Buggy Damn I missed the yummy Roarke conversation! Glad you liked the review girls, we can always dream

Nissie We can start another yummy Roarke conversation any time you like! I'm sure plenty of us gals would weigh in! :)

Adrienne Testa Not a groupie, curious about Roarke... something about him makes you wonder.

Buggy LOL Adrienne, Yes he makes me wonder too and daydream...

Adrienne Testa Buggy wrote: "LOL Adrienne, Yes he makes me wonder too and daydream..."

Buggy: yes, Roarke is a man who has that something... could create many a good daydreams. I am new to this series. But, I am now up to Rapture in Death. I find each book has an interesting story and secondary characters. But, your mind goes back to Roarke and how he interacts with people. He understands Eve. Accepts her friends into his home. Teaches her about family. I wouldn't mind going hand to hand combat with him.. sweaty or in the shower.

Adrienne Testa Nissie wrote: "We can start another yummy Roarke conversation any time you like! I'm sure plenty of us gals would weigh in! :)"

Nissie: I am just learning about Roarke. Love his interaction with Eve and Summerset. Loved when he blushed realizing when they were in Mexico and having sex by the pool, the security camera was still rolling. I had to laugh at his reaction... so old fashion for a man who lives in the age of technology. From his description, he must look very hot and sexy in a tux.