Hannah's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

Apr 20, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, houses-as-characters, gothics
Recommended to Hannah by: Carol Kerry-green
Read in April, 2010

Aussie author Kate Morton deftly managed to push nearly every one of my reading buttons with her lovely book, The Forgotten Garden:

1. Not so young woman with a haunted past - check
2. Not-so-fairy-Grandmother who bequeaths said woman an old house with a mysterious history - check
3. Said old, mysterious house is actually a cottage on the wild Cornish coast, complete with a hidden garden, a handsome neighbor, and the faintest suggestion of the supernatural - check
4. Said woman embarks on a quest to uncover her family secrets and heal thyself --- game, set, match

Each chapter of The Forgotten Garden is told through the voices of 3 women: Eliza, Nell and Cassandra, and covers several different time periods throughout the 20th and early 21st century. We get to know Eliza, Nell and Cassandra intimately, and through them other characters who play a large part in the unfolding story: Rose, Nathaniel, Adeline, and Linus. Not a book to put down for a few days and pick back up later, The Forgotten Garden needs to be savored in long stretches so that the reader can fully connect to each character and their backstory. The continually jumping characters and time periods can get confusing and distracting at times , which prevents me from rating this story with a solid 5 stars. Otherwise, this tale is tailor made for my reading tastes, with sentences, like the following, that speak to me:
"She unlocked the front door and went inside. The house seemed to be listening, waiting to see what she would do. She ran her hand lightly along the inside wall. "My house," she said softly, "This is my house." The words pressed dully into the walls. How strange it was, how unexpected. She wandered through the kitchen, past the spinning wheel and into the little sitting room at the very front. The house felt different now that she was alone. Familiar somehow, like a place she'd visited long ago."

Simple and comforting. My kind of book.
120 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Kerry-green I loved this when I read it a couple of years ago Hannah, hope you enjoy it!

Hannah I am really, really enjoying this Carol. Just my kind of book :)

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Kerry-green Will look forward to your review

message 4: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LOLOL, you crack me up with your love of reading about old houses and cottages. hahaha :)

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Kerry-green So glad you loved this book Hannah, I enjoyed the different time periods of this book and characters, a really good way of telling the story.

message 6: by Hannah (last edited Apr 19, 2010 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah Arlene wrote: "LOLOL, you crack me up with your love of reading about old houses and cottages. hahaha :)"

Pathetic, isn't it? But I guess we all have our literary hot buttons, huh?
(Just glad my sparkly vampire phase fizzled out fairly quickly!!)

Hannah Carol wrote: "So glad you loved this book Hannah, I enjoyed the different time periods of this book and characters, a really good way of telling the story."

It was an interesting way to tell the story, but it did keep me on my toes, which was frustrating at times - lol!

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "Pathetic, isn't it? But I guess we all have our literary hot buttons, huh?
(Just glad my sparkly vampire phase fizzled out fairly quickly!!) "

LOL No.No.No... not pathetic at all! I love it. :)

Hannah Arlene wrote: "LOL No.No.No... not pathetic at a..."

message 10: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Hannahr wrote: "Thank you! I think it comes from living in a 2 bedroom college town apartment. I want space, peace and a big yard :) "

And a small picket fence with a magical garden. I'm with ya sista. Sounds perfect to me. :)

Leslie is Forgotten Garden appropriate for a 13 year old girl?
thanks!

Hannah Leslie wrote: "is Forgotten Garden appropriate for a 13 year old girl?
thanks!"

Hi Leslie,
Hmmm, that's always a tough question to answer, since I don't know the maturity level of the 13 year old or what you consider inappropriate reading material. Honestly, I don't think a 13 year old would enjoy it very much (I know I wouldn't have at that age and I know my 16 year old wouldn't right now). The themes are fairly mature and would probably be somewhat boring for a young girl. You, however, might enjoy it - I sure did :)

Leslie Hannahr wrote: "Leslie wrote: "is Forgotten Garden appropriate for a 13 year old girl?
thanks!"

Hi Leslie,

thanks, Hannah! Will have to add to my list.
L

message 14: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan This book sounds interesting and we seem to like the same books. However, with the bitter taste of 13th Tale still in my mind, I'm hesitant to read this. Any comparisons?

Hannah Susan wrote: "This book sounds interesting and we seem to like the same books. However, with the bitter taste of 13th Tale still in my mind, I'm hesitant to read this. Any comparisons?"

LOL - I didn't even finish the 13th Tale (disliked it!). So I'd say no :)

message 16: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris I like your style. Can you recommend others?

Hannah Kris wrote: "I like your style. Can you recommend others?"

Thanks, Kris. Hmmm, have you read The Lantern? I thought it had a similar style to Kate Morton's books.

Kristin I agree the jumping time periods was the only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars. I quite often missed the little line saying what year it was and frequently had to flip back LOL

Hannah Kristin wrote: "I quite often missed the little line saying what year it was and frequently had to flip back LOL"

Thanks Kristin~
I resemble that remark :D

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Why have I not 'liked' this review before?!?

Hannah Anna wrote: "Why have I not 'liked' this review before?!?"

I don't know - that %^&* was BRILLIANT!!
;P