Karl H.'s Reviews > Summer Knight

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

M_50x66
Apr 11, 10

Read in April, 2010

** spoiler alert ** By this point, I pretty well know what to expect from these books. Not that they aren't entertaining, but it's getting hard for me to write reviews about them. Harry Dresden gets in over his head again, he gets afraid, throws up, hells bells, so sue me, etc etc. Following the mystery genre law of inverse suspicion (which I just made up) the person acting the most guilty is innocent, and the guy who acts helpful is actually the one who did it. So we know who the bad guy is. It doesn't really matter because the action is pretty engrossing, and we like Harry even though he's kind of a moron. They're pretty well plotted, with satisfying climaxes and conclusions. Sometimes it seems like people have to explain things to him that should be obvious to an experienced wizard, but this is for the readers benefit mostly.

A couple nitpicks since that seems to be what I'm best at: I dislike the mothers handing him the answer at the end. Some BS law about them not interfering excuses their failure to intervene, but that's just lazy writing. Surely Harry ought to piece it together himself, not that it matters because he gets frigging abducted by the culprit right afterwards and they show their face to him anyway. Finally, I'm not sure why Mab is so happy with Harry at the end. She WANTS to win the war right? Why would she be happy that the balance of power is restored? It's good for the mortals, but its not like she should care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Knight.