Aidan's Reviews > Herland

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

M_50x66
Apr 12, 10

Read in March, 2010

Herland is about a group of men who set out to find a supposedly fictional country made up of entirely women. With mordern technology, mainly a plane, they are successful in their quest but are quickly captured. The characters in this book seem to have been chosen carefully. Terry, the man who believes a woman's place in the world is in the house cooking and serving the man. Jeff the man who thinks that woman are to be idolized and protected. And finally Van, who seems to be between the other two at the beginning but changes his views as the book goes on. While one might claim that this book is a feminist novel that is clearly not entirely the case as the issues addressed are very different than that. The idea that the world of materialism that we live in is not as great as we claim it is, is the most pronounced. This shown by the questions that the woman ask as well as the incident between Terry and his wife. All in all, this book was well written and is one I would consider reading again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Herland.