Stephen's Reviews > The Damned Utd

M 50x66
Dec 25, 11

bookshelves: givingaway
Read in April, 2010

Cracking read, particularly if you're interested in football, particularly if you remember Brian Clough. All pseudo-stream of consciousness, which I think Peace pulls off reasonably well. It doesn't really convince as a "stream of consciousness", however if it did it would probably be unreadable. It does succeed at giving the illusion of a stream of consciousness while remaining readable. More than that, I found the structure of the book really interesting, interlocking the stories of Clough's time at Hartlepools and Derby, with his time at Leeds.

My one reservation is that if you didn't know this was a real person, I'm not sure the book would be so interesting or engaging. By the same token, it did make me really desperate to find out more about Brian Clough. One reason that it might not work as a pure work of fiction is that Clough was so much larger than life, it would be difficult to invent him convincingly. Peace definitely manages to bring a plausible version to life, which is a huge achievement. Fascinating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Damned Utd.