Jamie's Reviews > The Six Wives of Henry VIII

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

Apr 11, 10

Read in April, 2010

I am notoriously slow reading non-fiction (I still have not finished John Adams). So I gave this book 5 stars as I could not put it down. I read it in a week (and it is a substantial size book). It reads as nicely as any fiction (much like I thought seabiscuit was).

I learned so much about stories that I was a little familiar with already -- I just had no idea that they were in reality even crazier than I learned. Politics, deception, ambition, religion, and a tad bit of "crazy" make for some of the bizarrest scenarios in all history.

The idea that "sex" or in more euphemistic term "lines of succession" completely dominated all aspects of these peoples lives is really fascinating. I gave thanks a thousand times over that the quality of my life is not dependent on my ability to have a son especially in a time period where the very attempt to have a child would likely cause my own death.

That Henry VIII actually lived and that these stories are in fact true is a testament to the line "truth is stranger than fiction".

I think anyone would enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Laura I'm glad you liked it. I loved this book.