karen's Reviews > The Book of Leviathan

The Book of Leviathan by Peter Blegvad

there is a great injustice in this world. and before i get back to my paper and before i write any job recommendations for anybody, i am going to sit down and make a heartfelt plea to anyone who is paying attention to help me fix one little thing that is symptomatic of everything else that is wrong in the world. i just got back from MOCCA, because i am a nerrrrrd, and peter blegvad just happened to be there signing. so of course i have to go up and buy another copy of this book i already own so i can have it signed and chat him up, because i am someone who believes in chatting up my heroes. and he told me that the guy from overlook press (with whom i already have some issues because they won't give up the rights to the first in the trilogy of kjaerstad books to open letter, and my trilogy is therefore not uniform) said that they have never ever had a book sell as poorly as book of leviathan. and i know that has to be true. because even at my store, where we always have copies, often on a display, this motherfucker just doesn't move!! and i do not understand it. seriously - i want an explanation, an excuse from each and every one of you explaining why it doesn't just reach right out and grab you. these are its merits: first of all it is a beautifully designed book. forget the insides for a minute. look at this thing -the page-edges are red, the silver on the cover is reflective and pretty, the colors are bold and eye catching, its got a cat, a bunny, and a faceless baby on the cover and a blurb from matt groening. that deserves at least a browse. and then it is opened, and the illustrations should be enough, even before reading anything, to stop your heart: the care that has gone into this - the detail, the range of his abilities...there are so many styles here - so much technique - each page could be framed and would kick anything's ass at the fucking whitney biennial. this is gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. and then, just read a panel f.t.l.o.g. - references to poetry and philosophy and math and art and physics - quotes from chesterton, and neruda and duchamp!! he is no slouch, this man - but it is not dull and academic - everything within is beautiful and funny and bleak and so well-put. it's just so... right. the man has rocked the book on every level. he deserves your money more than most people. even if you end up not liking the writing, you heathen, you will at the very least have an object of undeniable beauty.

this is what he looks like:

this is what his art looks like:

seriously - you all need to improve this sales rut.

this is his awesome website, where you can read some strips. http://www.leviathan.co.uk/menu.html

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Leviathan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Buck Sold.

message 2: by karen (last edited Apr 11, 2010 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

karen oh, jeez, but if novels are for children, what are graphic novels for??? the foetal??

Eh?Eh! Heh!

karen i tease, but i love love love this book and i have for years, and it made me really sad today talking to him and he was amazed that i cared so much for it and it made me sad that someone as obviously talented as this man should second-guess himself while i, with no talent whatsoever, bask in unearned confidence every day.

what a country...

Buck Graphic novels are for disturbed children, so they're okay. But whatever. I'm sincerely interested in this book.

And thanks for the little heart. I appreciated that.

karen good, i am glad - this is exactly why i love goodreads.com - these little gems of books that slip through the cracks - i have found some here on the site, and i hope i have passed some along to others.

i hope you all like it the way i like it.

Eh?Eh! This review is like a public service announcement. For our own benefit we need to duck under the desk, duct tape the edges of the windows, stock a 7 day food supply, and buy&read&love this book.

karen hahaha it is a bossy service announcement.
and a fantastic diversion from writing the worst paper of all time!

message 9: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam First I'd ever heard of this book -- thanks for sharing!

karen

(another reason to love goodreads.com - it taught me how to do that!)

karen i added a link to his website into the review.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Probably because no one bothered to market it, or have live readings from it, or any other of a number of things that render books to the death of zippo sales. So get on the horse Frenchie! Cause Leviathan like frenzy!

karen that's what this review is for!! feel free to vote and spread the popularity. feel free to read it yourself. feel free to feel free...

Ademption So I put a hold on it at the local library. We'll see how that works out.

karen !!!!

i came in to work today, and someone had put a copy on hold at my store!!

was it one of you????

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Not me, why would I order from some unknown store with mythical workers?

karen it's true, i work at a little mom n' pop establishment in this one-horse town.

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I have never beheld with my eyes, what proof have I? :-) Frenchie?

karen true. but i assure you, i am a real girl.

Ademption The Toronto Library doesn't have an upstate NY bookstore branch, but if it did, I totally would have bummed a copy from there.

karen we can ship it!!

to canada!

message 22: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck You might have to wait a bit longer, Evan. I just snapped up one of the TPL's five copies. (Note to Mr. Blegvad: if I like it, I promise to buy a copy down the road. Also, tough break on the surname.)

Why are we all drinking Karen's Kool-Aid?

karen my kool-aid brings all the boys to the yard

message 24: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck Well, that and your willingness to play doctor.

karen no one has accused me of malpractice yet...

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Ooo la la, Dr. Frenchie and the boys

Ademption @Buck
I see. Crafty of you to go and get it instead of waiting for the TPL to shuffle it around to you.

I drank the Karen kool-aid once already, and I enjoyed the taste. So I'm here for seconds.

@Karen
Double or nothing.

karen i am confident about this one.

Lizzie oh wow, I started reading this in December or so and put it aside for no particular reason - well maybe because I didn't want it to end. so this reminds me to finish it and then write my own glowing review. I love it so much, if only for the drawings of the tabby cat. but there's so much more. thanks for the reminder.

karen oh i am so glad!!

blegvad needs to conquer the world.
i love him so.

Lizzie I'm so envious that you got to meet him! karen wrote: "oh i am so glad!!

blegvad needs to conquer the world.
i love him so."

karen he is very meetable. he seemed excited that someone knew who he was.

Ademption Was listening to this and thought of you, Karen. The writing credit is Blegvad's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIq5u...

karen really??? how interesting! i am going to research this...

message 35: by Ademption (last edited Nov 12, 2012 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ademption He has lots of solo albums. They are very 80s James Taylor with synth: BLEGVAD!

message 36: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Zbitnoff Henry Cow were awesome and totally underrated so maybe he's just one of those artists who make really cool stuff which very few people can enjoy. But I'm glad you are his champion in the literary arena!

karen i fixed my pictures!!

i hand sold a copy of this the other day to some guy...

message 38: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Oo, shiny! I like shiny. Another copy sold!

message 39: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan I've got this on my to read list, and have seen a lot of his stuff in the Guardian. Now I will have to buy, cuz I'm under Karen-orders.

message 40: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan ..somebody here has said it was the Independent not the Guardian (librarians!). Must have seen it there then, though I only occasionally bought the Indie.

karen that's okay, you are forgiven