Lain's Reviews > What to Expect When You're Expecting

What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff

Dec 01, 07

When I was pregnant with my first child, I picked up nearly every book on the bookstore shelves having to do with pregnancy and childbirth. I wanted comfort, a friend in the form of a book, a companion to hold my hand and let me know everything was going to be okay.

This book was not that friend.

Instead, everytime I read this book, I found myself getting more and more agitated. It exposed me to almost TOO much information, verging on the point of overload. You know how medical students become convinced they have every wacky and rare disease they learn about in med school? That's how I felt when I read this book. After each chapter, I became convinced my child had Downs Syndrome, that I had placenta previa, that I was suffering from gestational diabetes, etc., etc.

Now that I have three children, I feel like I'm in the position to make a recommendation -- get this book if you must, but don't read it cover to cover. Use it as a resource if one of the other books you read (I suggest "The Mother of All Pregnancy Books" by Ann Douglas) leaves you wanting more information.

By the way, I didn't follow the "Best Odds Diet" and my kids still turned out fine. :)
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Expect When You're Expecting.

Jessica If you don't want to know the details about your pregnancy, why bother reading this book? That's really unfair for you to say that an informational book has too much information

Lain It's my opinion. I don't think it has to be fair.

DeeRae I agree. I started off "reading" it & transitioned to skim reading. Plus, a lot of the timing measures, appointment to dos, etc seemed off.