Cat's Reviews > Red-Headed Stepchild

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, urban-fantasy, witches, vampires
Read in June, 2009

(stolen from my blog)
I was up until 1:00 am finishing this book. I found the story enjoyable, easy to follow and humourous at times. Something nagged at me while reading though. Even though I wanted to find out what was going to happen and I kept reading, something was missing. I liked the characters quite a bit, though I think I found them sort of flat. I don’t know how to describe what bothered me throughout the book. I think it was that I never got really excited about the characters or really excited about what was happening. I just found it enjoyable.

I liked this book a lot. I did! I found the story line very interesting. I think it’s more that there wasn’t really a spark. Say, like when I read the first book in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. Something there CLICKED and I was almost desperate to get to the end of the book and then get my hands on the next one. There is no desperation in my reading of this book, just calm enjoyment. Which, of course, is very nice!

I will certainly be picking up the next book, though it doesn’t even seem to be on amazon yet, but the last pages of Red-Headed Stepchild claim that Black Mage will be available at some point! I’m very interested in the current path that Sabina has chosen to take at the end of this first book and I want to see how it plays out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red-Headed Stepchild.