Mia's Reviews > Should We Burn Babar?: Essays on Children's Literature and the Power of Stories

Should We Burn Babar? by Herbert R. Kohl

Dec 01, 07

I initially got this book for the final chapter, which is a fictional narrative dealing with the history of public education in this country (I am arguing in this quarter's final paper that public education was created as a type of enslavement, ironic when juxtaposed with the abolitionists' fight to abolish slavery and the suffragists' fight to rid the institution of marriage of its slavery-like aspects). Then I began to read Kohl's analyses of children's stories like Babar and Pinnochio, and the way he approached teaching these "classics" to his kindergarten students years ago (Kohl has taught everything from kindergarten to grad school). It really is fascinating to look at the sub-texts and how his students viewed them. It also gives me ideas on how to approach reading with my own children, adding a critical approach to help them learn how to "search through" a text and "get behind" them (see the chapter on Pinnochio).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Should We Burn Babar?.