Melanie's Reviews > The Diamond of Drury Lane

The Diamond of Drury Lane by Julia Golding

Apr 11, 2010

bookshelves: 5th-grade, 6th-grade, orphans, gangs, theater, historical-fiction, london, england, great-britain, adventure, friends, politics
Read in April, 2010

I really like this book and will most likely read the rest of the series. However there is one thing that bothers me. In the 21st century, why do we have books that depict young girls in weak positions?

In this story, Cat Royal is a ward of a London theatre. She finds herself in the middle of an exciting adventure. But the only people she can call on for help are boys and grown men. With the exception of Ms. Elizabeth (who herself has issues with a non-existent backbone), there is Pedro, Syd, Johnny, and Mr. Sheridan. And the men/boys won't let her go anywhere unaccompanied. She has to be rescued, escorted and told that she doesn't have good ideas (taking Lord Francis to the boxing match). Ugh...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond of Drury Lane.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You make an interesting point. If this weren't historical fiction, something might be a bit fishy, but I think it represents fairly well the way young girls were treated in the time. If it weren't written like this, I would doubt if any research were done!
Also, I think Cat was fairly rebellious against the times, particuarly in later books. :)

Mary I don't find Cat a weak character at all, and I certainly think there's nothing wrong with her only being able to call out to boys for help! And the escorting just shows chivalry, which is something we don't understand. I think Cat is one of the best heroines who shows a strong female who also needs men in her life! She's a true feminist to me because she respects men but isn't defined by them.