Mollie's Reviews > Ship Breaker

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Jul 19, 2010

bookshelves: dystopian, library, 2010, july
Read from July 05 to 06, 2010

I picked this one up based on the Book Smuggler's review, however I was a bit apprehensive because they also loved Incarceron which I just could NOT connect with. But I was pleasantly surprised with Ship Breaker.

Nailer, our protagonist, savages abandoned oil takers for copper wiring to make quota for the tyrannical men in charge in the futuristic story where most of the Gulf Coast is now submerged. Nailer, like most people on the beach, have a rough life. However, Nailer also has to deal with a drunken, drug addicted father that routinely beats him and is downright evil.

One day, Nailer's luck turns and he and his best friend, Pima, discover an expensive ship that has wrecked unbeknown to anyone else. While scavenging the boat they uncover a wealthy girl, Nita, nearly drowned in the wreckage.

They're faced with the choice of killing the girl and claiming the ship or saving the girl in hopes that her rich family will reward them beyond their wildest imagination for saving her. In the end they save her but Nita has secrets of her own and the rest of the book finds Nailer and Nita on the run from those pursuing Nita, and Nailer running from his father.

This book was pretty action packed, it moved quickly. However, what I liked most about it was the insight it had into what makes a "family". For Nailer, his mother is gone and his father is downright evil. The closest thing he has to family is Pima, his best friend and her mother. I liked how Nailer learns that blood relations don't necessarily guarantee love or a sense of family. Sometimes you make your family from those that are there for you, blood or not.

The end wraps up the events of the novel nicely, however I was left wanting more. Wanting to know what Nailer's next move would be. I'm wondering if there's going to be a sequel or not.

Overall this is a great addition to the slew of dystopian novels out there. I would definitely recommend this one!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship Breaker.

07/05/2010 page 256