Natalie's Reviews > El reino del dragón de oro

Aug 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: espanol, geekyfantasybooks
Read from July 18 to August 01, 2010

I appreciate what these books are doing to help with my Spanish ability. The main characters are fun and interesting, though the sequel doesn't give much opportunity for character development, but mostly rehashes the development they went through in the first book. That's often hard to avoid with sequels.

I enjoyed reading the book even while I was conscious of its shortcomings. Most of the secondary characters in the book are flat and don't meet the potential Allende gave them. This is especially true for the villains, who we never really get to know. The whole setting-up-a-fake-culture-then-romanticizing-it business makes me feel vaguely uncomfortable - it feels a bit like the classical portrayal of "the noble savage." But hey, she explicitly values diversity and alternative ways of thinking, so that's points for her.

I'll be finishing the trilogy, then I'm excited to move on to her adult works. Hopefully my Spanish will be up to muster by then.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read El reino del dragón de oro.