Suzy 's Reviews > The Pastures of Heaven

The Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck

Apr 20, 10

Read from April 11 to 17, 2010

My son was more impressed with this collection of interrelated stories than I, but I did like it. I read it after I read Sweet Thursday, which was a much later book, and which I thought was fabulous. It was interesting, historically, to read that Pastures of Heaven was the book that found Steinbeck what became his trademark California setting. What emerged for me was the theme of place. What struck me most was the fragile hold even the "Pastures of Heaven" can have on inhabitants when other humilities, fears and desires compete. Some of the stories were a little simplistic and overdrawn, i thought--unsophisticated. Finally, I was interested to read in the intro (which I didn't read until I read the book--good call) that one family common to all the stories precipitated the "evil" that ensued, however innocently. I hadn't picked up on that, and I found it intriguing that I could miss it. But I think maybe because it was just a convention and didn't have any real meaning, i overlooked it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pastures of Heaven.

04/11/2010 page 1