Wanda's Reviews > Bones

Bones by Jan Burke

Apr 18, 10

Recommended for: people who have time to waste

Journalist, Irene Kelly, and a notorious serial killer are included on an expedition bound for the burial grounds of one of his victims. The serial killer is actually allowed out of prison to lead this expedition. Implausible.
The expedition includes a dozen (plus) forensic experts, forest rangers, and sheriffs/guards. This should be enough of a security force that one would assume they'd all be safe. Not.
The whole expedition except for Irene, the killer, a cop, and the corpse finding dog (my favorite character) are blown up by a booby trap. The rest of the book is about the sequelae of that expedition. Unlike other readers, I did not find this book to be particularly scary. It was brutal in parts. The plot was predictable, the characters were derivative, and it was way, way, way too long. It was exhausting to finish because I simpl wanted to skip through page after page of what I did not think actually added to the plot. Perhaps it is a convention of publishing these days that the more pages a book has, the better it is; or the more it can cover up "there's nothing new here" or you can charge more for it.
I had actually picked this up because I wanted to do some escapist reading between my current dense history read and my quality fiction read. Because it had won an Edgar, I thought it would be a quality read. I was wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones.