Marieke's Reviews > The Southern Gates of Arabia: A Journey in the Hadhramaut

The Southern Gates of Arabia by Freya Stark

Apr 17, 10

bookshelves: history, 2010, travel, non-fiction, arab-world, islam, arabian-peninsula
Read from April 11 to 17, 2010

I think this pretty much says it all:
"On the occasion of the arrival of the free and respected one, and of her honouring the court of our excellent school, I rise to welcome her happy visit to the abode of the noble Sharifs, the country of Al Ahqaf, the place of residence of our venerated ancestors and that where our forebears were born. Her spirit and firm courage are show to us inasmuch as she is the first woman to visit the province of Hadhramaut alone, without any companion of her own sex or associate of her people, and that in her wandering and moving from place to place she travels entirely by herself.

"We are not told by history that since Hadhramaut became a land, any woman of Western race has come to it in this manner; she is the first woman who has trodden its soil and succeeded in travelling there. Therefore we thank the nation that has produced this noble lady, and do tribute to her lofty enterprise and her aspiring soul.

"And I, the writer, stand forth to represent my brothers the pupils of the educational school, asking the Lord that she may have a happy journey and a fortunate return, and that peace accompany her when she alights and proceeds, and in conclusion I offer the heartiest greeting."

I withheld a fifth star because no photographs were included in the book. I am hoping some were published somewhere at some time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Southern Gates of Arabia.

04/11/2010 page 74
04/12/2010 page 123
40.46% "Be careful of perfumed soap in Yemen."
show 2 hidden updates…