N's Reviews > Confessions of a Video Vixen

Confessions of a Video Vixen by Karrine Steffans

F_50x66
Dec 01, 07

bookshelves: tell-all, nonfiction, memoir, kindle

I thought this was an excellent book and I'm annoyed when people who obviously haven't read it think it's just Carrine bragging about all the men she's slept with.

The book is basically Carrine's autobiography, and it's a *cautionary tale.* Carrine was raped when she was a teenager, then fell into drugs and the hip hop crowd. She had a lot of screwed up relationships and drug problems while she tried to raise her son. The point of the book is she came to realize she can't live like that, and she doesn't want other women getting the idea that being a "video vixen" is a glamorous life. I never once got the impression that Carrine was bragging about anything.

After reading the book I have a lot of respect for Carrine. She made some terrible mistakes but at least she realized that, which is more than most people do.

Much later edit: In light of her second book, I've lost some respect for her. It gives the impression that she *is* just writing to brag about the men she's slept with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Video Vixen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyla (new) - added it

Lyla I haven`t finished reading, but that`s what I had assumed before starting. It`s actually not as lewd as I thought...she writes in a sentimental tone. I do admit, I don`t know how anyone would expect her to end up any other way with her childhood being what it was...and her mother being as hateful as she was. I honestly felt bad for the woman...then I hit the middle of the book and noticed the desperation. It`s a turn off, but it`s still somewhat fascinating. There was a point where I feel she could have changed..for the better, but I guess one has to see that for themselves.

kisha As I was reading your review I asked myself, hmm I wonder if she's read the sequel. Then I read your update. Yeah that's what changed my mind as well.

All I Can Be Is Me ummm... her name is spelled with a "K."