Mattmiller's Reviews > Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America's Schools Back to Reality

Real Education by Charles Murray

M 50x66
Apr 10, 10

An interesting analysis of the American system of education. Murray is not a big fan of No Child Left Behind. This got him thinking about how he would change public policy when it comes to education. In this book he states what he believes are four truths that could help us stop being educational romantics and start fixing the system.

1. Kids have differing ability (we can't make all kids genuine A students). 2. Half of our kids are below average when it come to their mathematical and linguistic skill (something we have very little power to change). 3. Too many kids are going after a BA (college isn't for everyone. We need to take away the stigma and guide kids with different skills towards different post-secondary options) 4. We need to train the academically gifted to be wise, not just knowledgeable (what? You can't teach character in a public school classroom!)

A good read. I am not sure about how some of his ideas would be fleshed out, but I recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Education.