Larry's Reviews > Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

M_50x66
Apr 22, 10

Read from April 10 to 19, 2010

I've always admired working dogs (from a distance) and their human partners. I'd heard about Scent of the Missing. from friends, and picked it up to find out what they saw in it. And I saw it too. Dogs (and cats and other pets) are NOT just small humans, and treating them as such degrades both the animal and the human. Susannah Charleson does not fall into this trap (which admittedly puts books on the Best Seller list). Ms. Charleson accepts her companions (dogs and cats) on their own terms. She respects their species for what they are, and then tells us all about them.

Scent of the Missing is the story of Susannah Charleson's journey from pilot and flight instructor to Search and Rescue volunteer, and ultimately as a SAR dog handler. (or is it Puzzle who is the handler?) It touches on the life of a SAR team member, triumphs and tragedies, and the feelings of accomplishment and failure that go with the territory.

Her writing is readable and literate and a joy to absorb. It is educational, too; it should be required reading for police and first responders who are not aware of the capabilities of mixed human-animal rescue teams. I learned about an area that I'd never thought about, and I feel better rounded for having done so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of the Missing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sally You "got it", Larry. An excellent, concise review.

Larry For those who may have missed it, Scent of the Missing has been optioned for a TV series that will begin pilot production shortly.