bjneary's Reviews > The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez

The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez by Alan Sitomer

Apr 10, 2010

bookshelves: multicultural-fiction, realistic-fiction, ya
Read from April 10 to 20, 2010

I really liked the character of Sonia, I detested everyone in her family except her father! Since her parents were Mexican and migrated to California, they did not speak English, so I learned Spanish, what they like to eat (poor Sonia making all those tamales for drunkle's birthday celebration)and their many ideas about family loyalty (her Aunt Tia's religious fervor), machismo, broken dreams and working hard for a better life. I loved that Sonia never gave up, but her hope dipped pretty low at times and I am glad she was able to go to Mexico and learn friendship and family ties that are so important from her grandmother, cousin and her baby. Sonia is a great strong female protagonist who does not buckle under about a better education for herself. Eeven better, she has her father supporting her 100%. A great book about the importance of an education and getting ahead if your parents immigrants in America. The American dream is worth fighting for in many ways and Sonia proves this time and again in this heartfelt novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez.

04/10/2010 page 50