Maggie's Reviews > Light on Snow

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

Apr 10, 10

Read in April, 2010

A quick, intense read that left no lingering after-taste in my mouth - like a half-decent table wine, it neither offended nor offered any sublimity to remember. The perspective of the 12-year-old narrator was raw and honest and sensitive and not always wholly likeable - much like a real pre-teen - but her resilience in the face of all the tragedy she'd seen was refreshing.

An excerpt:
'I watched my father run forward in his snowshoes the way one sometimes does in dreams, unable to make the legs move fast enough. I ran to the place where he knelt. I looked down into the sleeping bag. A tiny face gazed up at me, the eyes wide despite their many folds. The baby was wrapped in a bloody towel, and its lips were blue.'

And from the dust jacket:
The events of a December afternoon on which a father and his daughter find an abandoned infant in the snow will forever alter eleven-year- old Nicky Dillon's understanding of the world which she is about to enter and the adults who inhabit it: a father who has taken great pains to remove himself from society in order to put behind him an unthinkable tragedy; a young woman who must live with the consequences of the terrible choices she has made; and a detective whose cleverness is superseded only by his sense of justice. Written from the point of view of thirty-year-old Nicky as she recalls the vivid images of that fateful December, hers is a tale of love and courage, of tragedy and redemption, and of the ways in which the human heart always seeks to heal itself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light on Snow.