Danielle's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Elissa Elliott

Apr 28, 10

bookshelves: novels, historical-novel, religion
Read in April, 2010

This was not an easy book to read. I knew it probably wouldn't be after attending a reading and discussion with the author, Elissa Elliott. She admitted that she wrote this book as a way to explore questions she had regarding the book of Genesis, God, and tragedy. And most of us know how this is going to end.

I could have read this book quickly, just as a nice novelization/piece of fiction. The book can work that way. However, it doesn't take much to really think about what is being proposed. New theories, or at least new ways to look at the story.

Each of the women in this book is struggling with a different question/challenge. Eve wonders why eating the forbidden fruit was so horrible that they've been forever expelled. Aya struggles with how a perfect God could allow deformities and tragedies. Dara and Naava are challenged by competing beliefs and the sudden discovery that they are not the only people in the world.

Sometimes there are parts of books or movies that stay with you long after you've finished. This book has that for me. Elliott gives a different perspective to the "knowledge of good and evil" that was gained--and that has been food for thought. But there were many of these moments throughout the book where I set the book down to reflect.

This is a fictionalized account. Elliott admits that nothing is known about Eve's daughters. The author tries to resolve conflicting historical and biblical information into a cohesive background, and she admittedly made some decisions where there were questions. She explains why she chose the way she did on her website--and I'm willing to grant her the poetic license. She never claims that this is what really happened or that all her research points to these events.

While I did find the discrepancy of Naava's story being told in the third person unlike the first person chapters of Eve and her other daughters, this book was well written, and I've already recommended it to a few friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.