Linna's Reviews > Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories

Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories by Deborah Ellis

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: spectacular-all-time-favorites, i-cried, surprisingly-good, overlooked-gems
Read in January, 2010

It's one of those books that you don't expect much from but ends up surpassing any preconceptions you had before reading it. This is a collection of stories that are all heartbreaking and real but never truly preachy, as I had feared. The first six or so stories are the strongest, with the titular Lunch With Lenin blowing all the others completely out of the water. (The last few were rather weak.) But those first stories were perfection. They each ended on an open, thought-provoking way. All The Pretty Flowers was also breathtaking.

The fact that each story is so brief and fleeting only makes them more emotionally affecting. There were approximately twenty-one pages in Lunch With Lenin, and that was all it took for me to become more emotionally invested in the characters than I ever thought possible. So much that I just couldn't forget it.

Then I started a blog and gave it that title that never quite left my mind.

This is a rather special book, indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories.