Stinkerbelle Stormborn's Reviews > Middlesex

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Eventually decided to give the average of the sum of two ratings. The writing was 4 stars and the story itself - 2 stars. A couple of years ago I read "The Virgin Suicides" and found it quite nice, I'm not sure if it was because of the story itself or Jeffrey Eugenides' style kind of made up for any flaws. In a way this one was a bit reminiscent of it. Maybe he's one of the authors who make a tremendous first impression but the more one reads them, the more dissatisfied one becomes with their works. That's why I think it's more the way they write that makes an impact since after a book or two one gets used to it and the story becomes more important. I've had that happen with John Green's books - I was an instant huge fan after "Looking for Alaska" but then when I read his other books at one point it all blended into one thing and apart from the nicely way the story was narrated I wasn't getting anything. So, in brief for me "Middlesex" was a beautifully presented story, that I didn't care about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlesex.

07/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading