Peacegal's Reviews > Help! My Child Stopped Eating Meat!: An A-Z Guide to Surviving a Conflict of Diets

Help! My Child Stopped Eating Meat! by Carol J. Adams

Apr 10, 2010

bookshelves: library-gifts

I purchased this book for my library not because I have a child who stopped eating meat, but rather because I was a child who stopped eating meat, and I wish my family members would have had a resource like this.

Carol J. Adams has an uncanny sense for writing books that the vegetarian community desperately needs. Prior to this one, she penned the excellent Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian's Survival Handbook. Now, we have a resource for that increasingly common situation, the young vegetarian living with omnivorous parents. Adams gracefully tackles concerns ranging from “Am I supposed to cook two different meals?” to “What about Thanksgiving?” to “Will s/he get proper nutrition?”

One thing I especially appreciated about this book was that Adams encourages parents to take their teenager’s decision seriously, and not dismiss it as “just a phase.” Yes, vegetarianism is indeed temporary for some. However, the author explains that it’s a choice that needs to be respected and supported—even if it doesn’t last forever. An interest in social consciousness and/or health is a positive thing.

And hey, that’s a fantastic cover illustration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Help! My Child Stopped Eating Meat!.