Ernest Junius's Reviews > PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001

PLUTO by Naoki Urasawa

May 15, 10

bookshelves: wacky-fantasia, tragedy, world-adventures, relaxing-reads, books-that-took-overnight-to-finish
Read on May 03, 2010, read count: 1

Naoki Urasawa is my favourite mangaka. His mangas are uniquely different to other manga there are in the market, they are more European-oriented, usually dark, suspenseful and epic. I have read a few of his works sometimes in the past: Monster, 21st Century Boy (which was adapted into a ghastly low-budget looking Japanese movie) and Master Keaton. I always loved his work very much and this is the same case–it's unmissable.

I've read all of the series(1-8) and I speak for all of them. It was overall his style, only this time he adapted the story from Tezuka's manga, Astroboy. So what happen next is, two legendary mangaka's brains collided into a story about the investigation of a series of robots killing in the future. Inspector Gesicht is one of the 7 greatest robot targeted for termination that is handed this task to stop the doer. Dark and suspenseful as usual, added a touch of robotic future, this is a mind-blowing manga orgasm. Don't expect this manga to be full of action, but it's more to the psychological side of the story.

This is probably Urasawa Naoki's magnum opus, I believe it badly needs a sequel, and if you like his previous works, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read PLUTO.