Josiah's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln

1914201
Apr 09, 2010

it was ok
Read on April 10, 2010

I have read a number of treatments of the life of Abraham Lincoln, but this is one of my favorites. The artistry of the illustrations, for one thing, is awesome; in my view, this book outshines in that regard most others that have won the Caldecott Medal. There's a depth and wholesomeness to the drawings that gives them words to speak directly to the reader, as is the case for the illustrations in many of the greatest picture books that have ever been written.

I very much like the fact that the authors emphasized the abiding connection between Abraham Lincoln and his young sons. Our sixteenth President dealt with horrible sorrow over his lifespan, including the eventual deaths of more than one of his beloved children, but the Abe Lincoln who was most important to the President, himself, was the Lincoln that chose to play with his sons ahead of any other obligation, who recognized that if he were to fail to be a good father, then what right did he have to run an entire country? This was the playful, almost endlessly understanding, loving Abraham Lincoln about whom so many Americans know nothing, and that's really too bad.

The book ends with the Union having just won the Civil War, and Lincoln finally being able to rest contented in the knowledge that he was successful in preserving the nation that his forefathers had founded before he was even born. There's no mention made in the text of John Wilkes Booth or the assassination attempt that would end the life of perhaps our greatest President, but that lack of final information seems to suit the book's purposes very well, and be completely appropriate. Ultimately, I'll give two and a half stars to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

04/10/2010 page 3