Patrick Brown's Reviews > Straight Man

Straight Man by Richard Russo

Apr 19, 2011

bookshelves: campus-lit
Read from March 30 to April 19, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight Man.

03/30/2011 page 97
04/06/2011 page 147
35.0% "There's something weird about books where the title appears as a line in the book. I suppose the title of Lucky Jim is in the epigraph, though..."
04/13/2011 page 273
66.0% ""It's a hell of a fine man who'll write a novel and keep it to himself.""
04/15/2011 page 294
71.0% "I enjoyed the Mission Impossible-style scene at the recall meeting."

Janet I know a girl in Athens who has a couple of copies of this at her online bookstore! Not that you have any shortage of indie bookstores to visit out there. :)

Patrick Brown Just ordered it! Thanks for the tip.

Janet Ooh, thank you! That made my night.

message 4: by James (new)

James Brown Patrick,
Good choice. Russo is a great writer and also a really good man.

message 5: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian Just passed this up at a used book sale at my library and took That Old Cape Magic instead (either one would be my first Russo). Should I grab Straight Man if I see it there next month too?

Patrick Brown Brian wrote: "Just passed this up at a used book sale at my library and took That Old Cape Magic instead (either one would be my first Russo). Should I grab Straight Man if I see it there next month too?"

I'm going to end up giving it 4 stars, with the caveat that it is my absolute favorite genre of writing -- campus novels. So, take that for what it's worth, but yes, I enjoyed this one. It has the funny/sad combination I tend to look for in fiction. I've never read anything else of his, so I can't really compare it to That Old Cape Magic.

message 7: by James (new)

James Brown Hey Brian,
I never read That Old Cape Magic, but I did like Straight Man, though my favorite is Russo's The Risk Pool. And there's Empire Falls (I think that was the title) that won the Pulitzer. I haven't read that one, either, though. He's also written a couple of movies, both starring Paul Newman.

Alisa I loved Straight Man! Fun book, Russo is a great writer.