Kathy (Bermudaonion)'s Reviews > The Ocean Between Us

The Ocean Between Us by Susan Wiggs

Apr 09, 2010

Read from April 20 to 23, 2010

Grace and Steve Bennett have been married for twenty years and they have three children in high school. Steve is a career Naval officer and his career has taken precedence over everything else in the family’s life. They’ve just moved to Washington state and Grace starts to feel the need to put down roots and begins to question all the sacrifices the family has made for Steve’s career.

On the eve of Steve’s deployment, the family finds out some shocking news, so the relationship between Steve and Grace is strained as he leaves. Several things happen while Steve is gone that test their strength, their love and their resolve as a family.

Deep down inside, The Ocean Between Us by Susan Wiggs is a love story. It’s not the story of a new romantic love, but rather the story of a deep, abiding love, and I thought it was just wonderful. The book was a quick read, because I found myself so engrossed in the story.

I could relate to Grace so much. Even though Carl’s not in the service, we have moved a lot for his career, and I know what it’s like to pack up, leave friends behind and start all over in a new place. I know what it’s like to set aside your own needs to try to get your family settled and happy in a new place. I also know what it’s like to appreciate all the opportunities those moves afford you – meeting new people and experiencing new places and things. I totally got it when Grace wondered whether giving up her own dreams to pursue her husband’s had been too much of a sacrifice.

I could also relate to the Bennetts’ three children, since my own father served in the Navy. My father retired when I was fairly young and he mostly had shore duty after I was born, but I do remember picking him up after a long deployment on an aircraft carrier, and wondering if I would recognize him when I saw him again. The children also made me think of Vance and the moves he’s had to make throughout his life.

Overall, I liked The Ocean Between Us a lot and what I liked the most about it was the deep sense of love and respect the Bennetts had for each other and the way they learned to appreciate each other. I think Susan Wiggs did a fantastic job of portraying the life of a service family. This book was an emotional read for me – it made me cry several times, especially at the end. It serves as a reminder that when someone is enlisted in the military, their whole family serves and makes sacrifices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean Between Us.

07/04/2016 marked as: read